TPWW Forums  

Go Back   TPWW Forums > o f f t o p i c > video games forum

Old 09-07-2022, 09:20 PM   #1
M-A-G
Higher. Further. Faster.

M-A-G makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)M-A-G makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)M-A-G makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)M-A-G makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)M-A-G makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)M-A-G makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)M-A-G makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)M-A-G makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)M-A-G makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)M-A-G makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)M-A-G makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)M-A-G makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)M-A-G makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Rate the Game Wrap Up and Retrospective Special

So imagine my panic when I woke up Tuesday morning thinking I had missed out on Rate the Game. The mind can be programmed in very awful ways. I, of course, quickly remembered that we had wrapped this up last week. Then I panicked again when I realized I didn't do a proper ending with a final leaderboard. After all, Super Mario Bros. 2 certainly got lots of love, enough to get it a spot on our leaderboard. But what spot after all is said and done? I present to all of you out in the TPWW Universe, the final (?) fully updated leaderboard!!!

Now doesn't that feel good? It just makes things feel so...whole. Super Mario Bros. 2 earned enough praise and love to end up with a 4.5 overall average. That means it breaks a long streak we endured of not having a game break into that upper elite echelon of the top ten. It barely, just barely, squeezes in and claims that number 9 spot, kicking Red Dead Redemption out of the running.

Well, aside from tying up that particular loose end, I kind of hoped this thread coiuld be all about us giving our final perspectives on some of these games. Maybe you missed a week or weren't here from the get-go and wanted to share some thoughts and memories. What would your personal top ten from this selection of games look like? What are your thoughts on what ended up being our collective top ten?

And probably the biggest question is should Rate the Game continue sometime down the road and what games would you want to be part of it, if at all? I'm most certainly going to take a bit of a breather but I'm not hanging up the bowl just yet. I mean, I can still eat cereal out of it. I have a group of alternates that I had at the ready in case we needed them. I'll probably share those later. But the forum is open. What's your take on all of these questions? I'll kick it off with my own take on our top ten. Happy reading!

1. Super Mario World (4.81)

If there was any game on this list that I thought deserved to be number one, it's this one. Not my personal favorite but it meant so much to so many people and was incredibly instrumental to the launch of the Super Nintendo. I remember playing this sucker at any demo unit I could find at whatever department store we frequented. It looked incredible, played even better, and the music is a constant ear worm to this day. Plus its biggest feature is still a staple in the Mario franchise to this day, that being the lovable Yoshi. Like I said before, I don't go back to this one as much as 3 but it was the game that made me want a Super Nintendo. If you were a Nintendo kid back in the day it was as vital as breathing.

2. Grand Theft Auto: Vice City (4.8)
For a while it looked like nothing was going to top Ocarina of Time after it had claimed the number one spot. Imagine my surprise when the game that ended up challenging it was this one. Vice City certainly improved on the formula that Grand Theft Auto 3 had given us but it's safe to say it's a wildly different kind of game than Ocarina of Time. The plot and setting certainly helped, and a rocking 80s soundtrack didn't hurt. This was one of those games that I had to play via my friend's Playstation 2 after college. It always seemed I was more interested in just wreaking havoc instead of actually playing the game. I had fun with it but the Open World Rule kind of prevents me from placing it on a high pedestal. Not necessarily a shoo-in for my top ten but, hey, that's not what this list is all about. You spoke and number two certainly isn't anything to sneeze at.

3. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (4.8)
Dirty secret time: I'm not a particularly big Legend of Zelda fan. I've never completed a single game in the franchise and I never touched this one despite it being one of the biggest and most beloved entries on the Nintendo 64. I mean, it looks interesting and you can tell a lot of care and trouble went into creating it. I absolutely remember the hype surrounding it and I still have issues of GamePro where it was a featured upcoming title. I just can't quite put my finger on what it is about this world that never really grabbed me. I'll simply just have to take everyone else's word for it as virtually everyone gave it enough to love to not only earn that nice 4.8 average but it was the game that broke the streak that Super Mario Bros. 3 had touted on the top of the leaderboard for so long.

4. Hitman: Codename 47 (4.75)
Another game with which I have little experience. I can only recall brief instances of my friend giving it a whirl but I was usually preoccupied with something else. I like stealth gameplay, as my love for the Thief franchise will attest, but I just never got bit by this particular bug. I don't have a whole lot to say about this title so I'll just have to trust your judgment again.

5. Mass Effect (4.75)
One of the few games that I hadn't played at the time of when we covered it that I went on to play later. I picked up the collection sometime after and was incredibly impressed with the universe they built. It's incredibly ambitious and the conversation system is really engrossing. I love hearing from these characters and wondering how my attitude will affect things down the line, if at all. I'm not sure I like it over other shooters I've played but I'm not done with it yet so we'll leave that judgment for another time.

6. GoldenEye 007 (4.72)
Not to be that guy but if you were a 90s kid and didn't play this fucker with 3 other people while gobbling down pizza and CapriSun, I wonder what's wrong with you.

7. Super Mario Bros. 3 (4.7)
Oh, hell yeah! You want to explain to some young punk how much Nintendo ruled the fucking world back in the day, you pop this fucker in. This bad boy claimed the top spot when it was covered and held on for dear life all the way until the end of the original run of Rate the Game. It was almost scary how nothing seemed to be able to stop it. But why not? This game is the quintessential NES title. The power-ups, the music, the format, the graphics, the gameplay. It's almost everything you'd want in an NES game. It's also hard to talk about this game without mentioning the movie "The Wiz", where it was featured at the climax. And while that film is as far from cinematic gold as you can get, it's a snapshot of the times. I may not have had the greatest relationship with my sisters but when it came to Mario and Nintendo, it all seemed to just melt away. I think that is the real contribution a game like this made to everyone who played it back in the day. It's certainly my favorite Mario game on the NES and I welcome it on my top ten any day.

8. Silent Hill 2 (4.66)
I understand how this wasn't as popular among us as some of these other titles. The survival horror genre is already niche as it is and Resident Evil always seemed to have the bigger parades. I think there were already 5 Resident Evil titles out before this game was released. Nevertheless, on a personal level, it ranks so high it's not even funny. I place it on a shortlist that I would submit as evidence that the video game medium is as viable an art form as painting or composing. If it can move you or bring out a strong emotional response, I would absolutely classify it as a work of art. It's not my favorite Silent Hill game, and in fact, I almost have a love-hate relationship with it. On the one hand, I think it's one of the best games ever made but at the same time, it's where a lot of misconceptions about the franchise started and continued when the series got taken out of the hands of Team Silent. As much as it would be nice if the original games got a lot of love nowadays, I kind of prefer it if the series just remained dormant as it has been instead of running the risk of it continuing to be mishandled by people who don't know what it's about. My earliest memories of this game involve me seeing it being advertised on TV with a voiceover of a woman talking about how she was promised that she'd be taken back to Silent Hill someday. Knowing what I did about the first game, I was confused. Like, why would someone who went through the first game want to go back? Of course, all my questions were answered when my friend brought the game home and popped that fucker in the Playstation 2. To say we were blown away is an understatement. I feel bad about it taking up a spot on our top ten but it's absolutely a mainstay on mine.

9. Super Mario Bros. 2 (4.5)
I think I said all I needed to say about this one last week. Again, there was just something about Nintendo that let my sisters and I just be siblings. On the property that my dad managed there were two girls around the ages of my sisters. They were the one who had a lot of NES games and were kind enough to lend them to us. They even had the Power Pad! Of course, we tackled this game, too. It was the talk of the lunch table in school. Everyone had their own ideas as to why the game was so different from the original and what relation Wart had to Bowser, if any. Just being able to play as characters other than Mario and Luigi was a big deal. Playing as Princess Toadstool was an even bigger deal. Yes, there was a time when she was just Princess Toadstool to us. And she wasn't a blonde. Just some weird shade of brown.

10. Portal (4.5)
A different kind of puzzle game to say the least but one most welcome. I think the only thing really working against it, in my opinion, is its short length. Naturally the sequel took care of that issue and expanded on the rest of the concept. The humor, the setting, the mechanics, and the fact that it was part of one of the best deals in gaming were huge pluses. I'll always remember my friend beating this fucker before I got the chance while I was at work. I repaid him by beating Portal 2 before he did, though. And he was the one who bought it. For a time, this game was the talk of the town, as everyone was quoting it and "Still Alive" was one of the most beloved songs in gaming. It set the stage that the sequel absolutely just lit up and stole for itself. But that's another story for another day....

So how about the rest of you?

No matter what may happen to me, just remember Lzzy Hale gave me the bedroom eyes...

...again.

Last edited by M-A-G; 09-07-2022 at 10:18 PM.
M-A-G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 09:48 PM   #2
Destor
I am the cheese

Destor makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Destor makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Destor makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Destor makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Destor makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Destor makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Destor makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Destor makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Destor makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Destor makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Destor makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Destor makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Destor makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
I like that the finale cracked the top 10
Destor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 09:49 PM   #3
Destor
I am the cheese

Destor makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Destor makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Destor makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Destor makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Destor makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Destor makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Destor makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Destor makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Destor makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Destor makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Destor makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Destor makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Destor makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Looking at the top 10 its very strong. It woulsnt be my personal list but they all have some big legacies
Old 09-07-2022, 09:49 PM   #4
Destor
I am the cheese

Maybe not portal...but i do love portal
Old 09-07-2022, 11:36 PM   #5
Lock Jaw
Loque Ja

Lock Jaw makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Lock Jaw makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Lock Jaw makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Lock Jaw makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Lock Jaw makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Lock Jaw makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Lock Jaw makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Lock Jaw makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Lock Jaw makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Lock Jaw makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Lock Jaw makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Lock Jaw makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Lock Jaw makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Never played it.
Lock Jaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 01:16 AM   #6
Fignuts
Hey Mister!

Fignuts makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Fignuts makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Fignuts makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Fignuts makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Fignuts makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Fignuts makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Fignuts makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Fignuts makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Fignuts makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Fignuts makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Fignuts makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Fignuts makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Fignuts makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Portal is a "perfect game" to me.

Just the right length where its fulfilling but never drags. Introduces new mechanics and increases challenge at a consistent pace throughout, and has subtle story element that keeps you intrigued but doesn't distract from the gameplay at all.
Fignuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 01:22 AM   #7
Destor
I am the cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fignuts View Post
Portal is a "perfect game" to me.

Just the right length where its fulfilling but never drags. Introduces new mechanics and increases challenge at a consistent pace throughout, and has subtle story element that keeps you intrigued but doesn't distract from the gameplay at all.
its outstanding but top 10 all time? Seems a bit steep
Old 09-08-2022, 01:33 AM   #8
Fignuts
Hey Mister!

Fignuts makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Fignuts makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Fignuts makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Fignuts makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Fignuts makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Fignuts makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Fignuts makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Fignuts makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Fignuts makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Fignuts makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Fignuts makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Fignuts makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Fignuts makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
I mean I know it pales in terms of scale, compared to some entries, but to me, more isn't better. As amazing as those games are there are some parts that I disliked.

Portal may not be as epic, but I enjoyed it all the way through, start to finish. Add to that it was a completely unique idea in an era that was obsessed with brown and grey shooters, and yeah, easy top 10 for me.
Fignuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 01:37 AM   #9
Destor
I am the cheese

I love the game so its not like im going to tear it down. Feels more like a top 25 or so. I dont think it influenced the industry going forward in a major enough way. More like "here's this outstanding experience. Thanks for playing, bye"
Old 09-08-2022, 01:40 AM   #10
Destor
I am the cheese

Feel like, if i dared to try and craft a list, the top 10 would be games that defined or redefined the industry in someway. Cornerstone games. Landmark breakthroughs. Like SM64 is the skeleton all 3d platformers wear to this day and in some ways 3d games in general. Thats a top 10. Everything that comes after it carries its dna
Old 09-08-2022, 01:41 AM   #11
Destor
I am the cheese

NOT SAYING YOURE WRONG ABOUT YOUR OWN LIST BTW JUST DISCUSSING THE NATURE OF EXCELLENCE AS A THOUGHT EXERCISE OVER HERE
Old 09-08-2022, 09:14 AM   #12
Big Vic
( ._.)

Big Vic makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Big Vic makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Big Vic makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Big Vic makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Big Vic makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Big Vic makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Big Vic makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Big Vic makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Big Vic makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Big Vic makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Big Vic makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Big Vic makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Big Vic makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Now you have to give us your top 10 Destor.
Big Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 09:47 AM   #13
drave
In His hands...

drave makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)drave makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)drave makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)drave makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)drave makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)drave makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)drave makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)drave makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)drave makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)drave makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)drave makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)drave makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)drave makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Unpopular Opinion (maybe).

I don't think SMB3 is that great. I understand how it changed a lot of the foundational Mario stuff, but I just...... don't really care for it much I guess.

When I sit down to play a Mario game, I would take Super Mario World, Mario 2 and THEN SMB3.
drave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 12:08 PM   #14
M-A-G
Higher. Further. Faster.

M-A-G makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)M-A-G makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)M-A-G makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)M-A-G makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)M-A-G makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)M-A-G makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)M-A-G makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)M-A-G makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)M-A-G makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)M-A-G makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)M-A-G makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)M-A-G makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)M-A-G makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
This post is sponsored by Mary's little lamb

I'll see about working on my personal top 10 from this selection later. While I'm certainly sad seeing the first Silent Hill game so far down the ladder, I don't consider it elite material on my spectrum.

Also, let's give a big hand to Ghosts 'n Goblins for keeping that bottom spot warm for so long.
Old 09-08-2022, 12:09 PM   #15
M-A-G
Higher. Further. Faster.

Wink This post is sponsored by a man from Nantucket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lock Jaw View Post
Never played it.
Yes you have! Don't lie!
Old 09-08-2022, 02:16 PM   #16
DAMN iNATOR
Rigged from the start

DAMN iNATOR makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)DAMN iNATOR makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)DAMN iNATOR makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)DAMN iNATOR makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)DAMN iNATOR makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)DAMN iNATOR makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)DAMN iNATOR makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)DAMN iNATOR makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)DAMN iNATOR makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)DAMN iNATOR makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)DAMN iNATOR makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)DAMN iNATOR makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)DAMN iNATOR makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
I for one believe LJ. I don’t think there’s a single title in video game history that he’s ever played.
DAMN iNATOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2022, 08:36 AM   #17
screech
Shelly Martinez = Ratings

screech makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)screech makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)screech makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)screech makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)screech makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)screech makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)screech makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)screech makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)screech makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)screech makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)screech makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)screech makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)screech makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
I have never played three of these games.
screech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2022, 02:54 PM   #18
Lock Jaw
Loque Ja

Lock Jaw makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Lock Jaw makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Lock Jaw makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Lock Jaw makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Lock Jaw makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Lock Jaw makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Lock Jaw makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Lock Jaw makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Lock Jaw makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Lock Jaw makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Lock Jaw makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Lock Jaw makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Lock Jaw makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Quote:
Originally Posted by screech View Post
I'm 50%..... 5 yes, 5 no....
Old 09-10-2022, 04:23 PM   #19
Destor
I am the cheese

8/10
Old 09-10-2022, 05:41 PM   #20
screech

screech makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)screech makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)screech makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)screech makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)screech makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)screech makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)screech makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)screech makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)screech makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)screech makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)screech makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)screech makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)screech makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
The games I have played from this list are great though and deserve the accolades.
Old 09-10-2022, 10:03 PM   #21
M-A-G
Higher. Further. Faster.

This post is sponsored by Basil Exposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by screech View Post
Of the top ten you mean, right? I mean, I applaud anyone who has managed to go 125 for 125 from our entire list but 122 out of 125 would still be amazing.
Old 09-11-2022, 10:23 AM   #22
M-A-G
Higher. Further. Faster.

This post is sponsored by the Philips CD-i

My personal top ten, irrespective of their position and rating on the leaderboard. Also, not counting games not on the leaderboard:

1. Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver

My favorite game ever of all time, I don't care what anyone says. I never played anything like it before and I haven't played anything like it since. Well, unless you want to count the other games in the franchise. Some elements of the graphics and mechanics don't really hold up well but it's still a "trapped on an island" game if there ever was one for me. The story is told with near-expert skill and the voice acting is some of the best, even to this day. The world they created with Nosgoth and the lore to go along with it is so immersive and interesting. Twenty years or so after its release and its fanbase is still strong. I've actually been stumbling across retrospective videos on YouTube and it's a fascinating dive into just how much the game, and the whole franchise, has meant to its fans. I've been buying shirts and accessories relating to the series to help make up for the fact that stuff like that wasn't around when I was a teen. I absolutely would've worn this shit to school. Not to mention the music which I have on my phone and computer. I think I've praised it enough. Give a whirl if you can track it down. It's just good shit.

2. Silent Hill 3

The best Silent Hill game in my opinion. It's a tough choice between this one and the second game, and I absolutely understand if people pick it over this one. But this game got things back to where the series began. Tying the story to the original game was a fantastic twist and Heather is just a great protagonist. This was the first game to really scare the shit out of me in a visceral way, with the uneasy scenarios and unnerving music. By the time I was in the amusement park I flat out told my friend that I really didn't feel like playing anymore. There are just so many memorable moments in this game, from the mirror room to the carousel fight to the subway tracks panic moment. It would've been fine if the series had ended here but Team Silent had one more card to play before it really went all to hell.

3. Super Mario Bros. 3

I think covered all my thoughts in the first post. By the way, did you know there's a trick you can pull off to keep Bowser from breathing fire during the battle with him?

4. Silent Hill 2

If I had to put the original 4 games in order of preference, least favorite to best, it'd be the 4th, the first, this one, and then the third. This game refined everything from the first game. It really benefitted being on the Playstation 2. Like Super Mario Bros. 3, I think I said all that I needed to say about this one earlier. I wish developers would get it out of their heads that this is the game that needs to be copied or that this game "stands on its own" because that's the mentality that has caused later games to come out rather less than stellar, to say the least.

5. Doom

I fucking love me some old school Doom. If there wasn't a computer in my school that had this installed, it's most likely because I hadn't used it. Forget cracking the books or trying out for sports. There were demons that needed to be pumped full of lead! It always strikes me as fascinating that one of the most anti-Hell games out there was such a huge target for Christian evangelical lunatics. They should've been the game's biggest audience! Yes, there was Wolfenstein 3D and Marathon but this is where you could say the FPS genre really took off. It hits all the right pleasure buttons in your brain.

6. Donkey Kong Country 2

The original Donkey Kong Country was a such a hot piece of property when it dropped. It really helped in the Super Nintendo's battle against Sega's Genesis. I was pumped like hell when I found out that a sequel was on the way. In retrospect it seems like a no-brainer to follow up one of the best-selling Super Nintendo games of all time, but this was during the time that the Playstation and the Saturn had already dropped and Nintendo's reliance on the Super Nintendo to tide gamers over until the Nintendo 64 was a huge risk. As much as I love the original, the sequel just built on everything. The new environments looked great as it continued to push what the Super Nintendo was capable of. The music is playlist worthy. The challenge was upped but never unfair. More bonus rooms and secrets were just waiting to be found. It does what any good platformer should do.

7. Super Mario World

It's number one for a reason on our leaderboard. Sadly, Super Mario's Wacky Worlds never got the chance to shine and kick this game to the curb.

8. Mortal Kombat 2

While Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 claims the title of highest ranked Mortal Kombat game on the leaderboard, I prefer the second game over it. The leaps it made over the original weren't really matched by the third entry's leaps over the second. Mortal Kombat 2 is where we get a big chunk of the lore. We learn about Outworld and Shao Kahn. Some of the most popular characters were introduced here. Juggle combos were a huge part of the gameplay. The graphics looked sharper. More secrets were implemented. Kids in my class just ate this game up. It's not particularly fun to play solo but you can say that about any fighting game. This baby still holds up, in my opinion.

9. Mega Man 2

I debated whether or not this was my favorite Mega Man game. Mega Man 3 is pretty killer. Mega Man 9 was a fun nostalgic throwback. I'll always have a soft spot for the 4th game because it was the very first entry I played. But there's just something about the second game where everything comes together. It's missing all of the other things we take for granted from the other entries like sliding and Rush, but it's another example of near flawless platforming gameplay. From the soundtrack to the Metal Blade, you can't go wrong with this one...aside from that God awful box art.

10. Half-Life 2

The original Half-Life came along and slapped everything I knew about PC first-person shooter games out of my cranium. It took a much more cinematic approach to the genre and had A.I. behavior that was almost living and breathing. Of course, Valve just had to kick it up several notches for the sequel and I find it practically a complete masterpiece. The gravity gun and Ravenholme alone are worth the price of admission. Luckily, there's more to it than that, from the oppressive City 17 to Alyx as your companion to the Combine to the inevitable expansion packs. It does what any good sequel should do in expanding what you know about the world and characters established while keeping enough familiar elements to not completely overwhelm you. I really believe it's one of the best games ever made.

And that should do it for my top ten. Anyone else want to share?
Old 09-11-2022, 02:07 PM   #23
screech

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-A-G View Post
Of the top ten you mean, right? I mean, I applaud anyone who has managed to go 125 for 125 from our entire list but 122 out of 125 would still be amazing.
Yes three of the top 10, sorry
Old 09-11-2022, 04:24 PM   #24
Lock Jaw
Loque Ja

Around 45/125..... margin of error for things I might not have actually played... Also may have played other ones for a few minutes, I dunno....
Old 09-12-2022, 07:24 AM   #25
drave
In His hands...

drave makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)drave makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)drave makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)drave makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)drave makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)drave makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)drave makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)drave makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)drave makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)drave makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)drave makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)drave makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)drave makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
I love this thread, M-A-G. I hope that you do find time to continue it, if you like.

You always added fun videos or commentary to things that gave it a lil extra. Very cool.

Also brought back and unlocked some memories I forgot about.

Overall, the top 10 is pretty damn good and a great view at why Nintendo is amazing.
I'm not sure about Silent Hill 2 - but I've not played it either, so meh.
drave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 08:05 PM   #26
M-A-G
Higher. Further. Faster.

This post is sponsored by Sunny D

I'm at about 99/125 myself, which is almost 80%. Not bad if I do say so myself, considering how anti-video games my parents were growing up. Like, they'd put up with it but would always look down on it all and try to dissuade me from it. I sure showed them, huh?!?
Old 09-12-2022, 08:21 PM   #27
M-A-G
Higher. Further. Faster.

This post is sponsored by Ansel Adams

Quote:
Originally Posted by drave View Post
I love this thread, M-A-G. I hope that you do find time to continue it, if you like.

You always added fun videos or commentary to things that gave it a lil extra. Very cool.

Also brought back and unlocked some memories I forgot about.
If I continue it, I'll need games. I have a list of alternates that I had at the ready in case a game didn't get any play time amongst us and there were other titles floating around in my head. Here's a sample of them:

Mario Kart 64
Lemmings
Fatal Fury
The Secret of Mana
Frogger
Daytona USA
Sonic the Hedgehog 3
Toe Jam and Earl
Starcraft
Command and Conquer
Myst
Super Mario Galaxy
Pitfall
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
The Legend of Zeda: Majora's Mask
Dead or Alive
Street Fighter 3
Doom 2
Ridge Racer
Bionic Commando
X-Men (the arcade game)

I'll think of others. It's always tough to pick them because I'm always looking for games I think a large number of you all have played.
Old 09-12-2022, 08:59 PM   #28
Lock Jaw
Loque Ja

Quote:
I'm at about 99/125 myself, which is almost 80%. Not bad if I do say so myself, considering how anti-video games my parents were growing up. Like, they'd put up with it but would always look down on it all and try to dissuade me from it. I sure showed them, huh?!?
My mom didn't mind but my dad was staunchly anti-video game..... but there was a period where he played an MLB game for PC... maybe MLB 2000, maybe earlier... but it is just soooooooo weird to think about him ever playing a game. I even blocked that out in my mind for years because of how anti-video game he became, until one day I remembered like "Holy poop, he used to play a baseball game!"
Old 09-12-2022, 10:08 PM   #29
Destor
I am the cheese

Holy shit...we never did mk 64
Old 09-12-2022, 10:59 PM   #30
Sepholio
3 Dicks Out For Trips

Sepholio makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Sepholio makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Sepholio makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Sepholio makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Sepholio makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Sepholio makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Sepholio makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Sepholio makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Sepholio makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Sepholio makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Sepholio makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Sepholio makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Sepholio makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Gonna throw a short top 10 list for myself for shits and giggles, although this is v hard and would probably be different if you asked me again in 20 minutes.

1. Chrono Trigger. This is a lock. It's here in every variation I would ever make of this list.
2. The Witcher 3. Also a lock.
3. Diablo II
4. Final Fantasy 7
5. Super Mario World
6. Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
7. Hollow Knight
8. Half-Life 2
9. Resident Evil 4
10. Super Mario 64

That was not easy. Lot of changes and reordering and I feel like I snubbed several games I really love. But as of this particular moment, other than maybe flipping a couple around here and there, that's my top 10.
Sepholio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 11:43 PM   #31
Destor
I am the cheese

I wish i was capable of making a rank order list like that. I find it impossible
Old 09-13-2022, 01:55 PM   #32
Splaya
1-0 TPWW Chess Master

Splaya got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Splaya got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Splaya got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Splaya got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Splaya got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Splaya got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Splaya got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Splaya got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Splaya got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Splaya got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Splaya got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Splaya got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)
Quote:
If I continue it, I'll need games. I have a list of alternates that I had at the ready in case a game didn't get any play time amongst us and there were other titles floating around in my head. Here's a sample of them:

Mario Kart 64
Lemmings
Fatal Fury
The Secret of Mana
Frogger
Daytona USA
Sonic the Hedgehog 3
Toe Jam and Earl
Starcraft
Command and Conquer
Myst
Super Mario Galaxy
Pitfall
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
The Legend of Zeda: Majora's Mask
Dead or Alive
Street Fighter 3
Doom 2
Ridge Racer
Bionic Commando
X-Men (the arcade game)

I'll think of others. It's always tough to pick them because I'm always looking for games I think a large number of you all have played.
Couple of other games in case you want suggestions.

Final Fantasy 8
Final Fantasy 9
Final Fantasy 7 Remake
Modern Warfare 2
Chrono Cross
Heavy Rain
Splaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 03:00 PM   #33
Sepholio
3 Dicks Out For Trips

Sepholio makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Sepholio makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Sepholio makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Sepholio makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Sepholio makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Sepholio makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Sepholio makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Sepholio makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Sepholio makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Sepholio makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Sepholio makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Sepholio makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Sepholio makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Make a whole RPG themed series specifically for me and Destor.
Sepholio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 05:46 PM   #34
M-A-G
Higher. Further. Faster.

This post is sponsored by the Strogg

We actually went to a local Game Over so that I could get more ideas for games for us to cover. I saw some more RPGs that might be good, like Breath of Fire or Phantasy Star or Lunar. I also picked up this lovely piece of art for my ever-expanding gallery.

Old 09-13-2022, 06:00 PM   #35
M-A-G
Higher. Further. Faster.

This post is sponsored by the Love Shack

Calling back to when I mentioned the Soul Reaver related stuff I've been buying, here's a lovely bunch of shirts. I'm such a dork for the series that I memorized what those symbols are for.

A bonus Raziel shirt along with my pendant in the shape of the Soul Reaver itself. If you saw my video I had the same get up on.

The pillars are also part of my gallery.

Like I said, it's my favorite game.
Old 09-13-2022, 07:38 PM   #36
Destor
I am the cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepholio View Post
Make a whole RPG themed series specifically for me and Destor.
You know im here for it
Old 09-21-2022, 10:15 AM   #37
Splaya
1-0 TPWW Chess Master

Splaya got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Splaya got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Splaya got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Splaya got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Splaya got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Splaya got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Splaya got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Splaya got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Splaya got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Splaya got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Splaya got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Splaya got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)
Id love an RPG themed thread. So many good games out there.
Splaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 04:00 PM   #38
DAMN iNATOR
Rigged from the start

DAMN iNATOR makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)DAMN iNATOR makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)DAMN iNATOR makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)DAMN iNATOR makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)DAMN iNATOR makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)DAMN iNATOR makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)DAMN iNATOR makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)DAMN iNATOR makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)DAMN iNATOR makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)DAMN iNATOR makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)DAMN iNATOR makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)DAMN iNATOR makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)DAMN iNATOR makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
I guess I haven’t really posted in here, but if our benevolent overlord M-A-G sees fit, I would love to see a continuation of this series. 🙏🤞🥺
DAMN iNATOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 08:33 PM   #39
M-A-G
Higher. Further. Faster.

This post is sponsored by the Guild of Assassins

I was looking through my old magazines along with doing another trip to a Game Over looking for more inspiration. I don't have that great of a grasp on RPGs other than the really big ones. Like, Legend of Lagaia; is that a major title? I wouldn't really know. But almost anything is worth a shot. The worst that can happen is a game ends up on the Honorable Mentions list.

Sports games are another problem because other than the really out there games, like NBA Jam, Blitz, and Mutant League Football, what could I really go with? Madden would be the big franchise name but there's a shit ton of games in that line-up. I was also thinking about wrestling games.

Nonetheless, I did find some more gems (?) that caught my eye:

Syphon Filter
Eternal Champions
Vectorman
Mortal Kombat Mythologies: Sub-Zero
Adventure Island
Yoshi's Story
Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island
Unreal Tournament
Samurai Shodown

It's a work in progress.
Old 09-21-2022, 11:48 PM   #40
Lock Jaw
Loque Ja

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAMN iNATOR View Post
I guess I haven’t really posted in here, but if our benevolent overlord M-A-G sees fit, I would love to see a continuation of this series. 🙏🤞🥺
Maybe you should do a better video game theme, huh?