TPWW Forums  

Go Back   TPWW Forums > w r e s t l i n g > wrestling forum

View Poll Results: Who would you rather have on your roster right now?
John Morrison 6 18.18%
The Miz 27 81.82%
Voters: 33. You must log in or register to vote on this poll.

Old 09-23-2017, 12:56 AM   #41
Mr. Nerfect

Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
If Roman Reigns were positioned to go against babyfaces he would be.
Mr. Nerfect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 12:58 AM   #42
Mr. Nerfect

Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
The Miz is the best mid-card heel in the business today. I still can't take him seriously. It feels like anyone should be able to beat him. I dunno, I really like him at the IC Title level, but I feel that if he were pushed even just a bit harder, he wouldn't be doing that perfect tightrope walk.
Old 09-23-2017, 01:06 AM   #43
Lock Jaw
Loque Ja

Lock Jaw makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Lock Jaw makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Lock Jaw makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Lock Jaw makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Lock Jaw makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Lock Jaw makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Lock Jaw makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Lock Jaw makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Lock Jaw makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Lock Jaw makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Lock Jaw makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Lock Jaw makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Lock Jaw makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anybody Thrilla View Post
Question for the Miz voters...did you always feel that way?
I did not. Used to think Morrison was "the star". It wasn't until the team split and The Miz started heating up as a solo heel that I changed my opinion...... I think I made a thread about it.....
Lock Jaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 01:08 AM   #44
Sixx
LUV CABBAGE/H8 JEWS

Sixx makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Sixx makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Sixx makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Sixx makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Sixx makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Sixx makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Sixx makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Sixx makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Sixx makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Sixx makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Sixx makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Sixx makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Sixx makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
I don't remember, The Miz was in a tag team with Morrison? I thought it was some other dude.
Sixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 01:09 AM   #45
Lock Jaw
Loque Ja

Lock Jaw makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Lock Jaw makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Lock Jaw makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Lock Jaw makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Lock Jaw makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Lock Jaw makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Lock Jaw makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Lock Jaw makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Lock Jaw makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Lock Jaw makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Lock Jaw makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Lock Jaw makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Lock Jaw makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Here is my thread from 2009: http://www.tpwwforums.com/showthread.php?t=91272
Old 09-23-2017, 01:12 AM   #46
Swiss Ultimate
Amazon Affiliate

Swiss Ultimate makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Swiss Ultimate makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Swiss Ultimate makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Swiss Ultimate makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Swiss Ultimate makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Swiss Ultimate makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Swiss Ultimate makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Swiss Ultimate makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Swiss Ultimate makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Swiss Ultimate makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Swiss Ultimate makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Swiss Ultimate makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Swiss Ultimate makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noid View Post
The Miz is the best mid-card heel in the business today. I still can't take him seriously. It feels like anyone should be able to beat him. I dunno, I really like him at the IC Title level, but I feel that if he were pushed even just a bit harder, he wouldn't be doing that perfect tightrope walk.
MIZ IS A MORE BELIEVABLE MAIN EVENT HEEL THAN EITHER EDGE OR CHRISTIAN AT LEAST. I NEVER BOUGHT EITHER OF THEM, BUT I TOTALLY SUSPENDED DISBELIEF FOR THE MIZ.
Swiss Ultimate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 01:16 AM   #47
SlickyTrickyDamon
Quark is Less Impressed.

SlickyTrickyDamon makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)SlickyTrickyDamon makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)SlickyTrickyDamon makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)SlickyTrickyDamon makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)SlickyTrickyDamon makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)SlickyTrickyDamon makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)SlickyTrickyDamon makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)SlickyTrickyDamon makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)SlickyTrickyDamon makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)SlickyTrickyDamon makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)SlickyTrickyDamon makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)SlickyTrickyDamon makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)SlickyTrickyDamon makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveWadding View Post
I'm just wondering if any of the people saying Morrison can't cut a promo have actually seen his work in the last couple years. He's probably the best promo in Lucha Underground and has been for at least the whole 3rd season.

With all their movie production stuff we have no idea how many takes he got.
SlickyTrickyDamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 02:19 AM   #48
Fignuts
Hey Mister!

Fignuts makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Fignuts makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Fignuts makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Fignuts makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Fignuts makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Fignuts makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Fignuts makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Fignuts makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Fignuts makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Fignuts makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Fignuts makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Fignuts makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Fignuts makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Quote:
I'm just wondering if any of the people saying Morrison can't cut a promo have actually seen his work in the last couple years. He's probably the best promo in Lucha Underground and has been for at least the whole 3rd season.
That's because he speaks English.
Fignuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 04:19 AM   #49
Mr. Nerfect

For those who want to see it, and I will put this in spoiler tags, I used a framework that is used on another forum to rate wrestlers. I know not everybody will want to see the working, but sometimes it helps to put things out on paper and really see how things stack up. It can also help you work out what you most respond emotionally to or have an aversion to, and identify your biases.

A wrestlers' qualities are split up into Look/Presence, Charisma, Ring Skills and Mic Skills. It feels simplistic, but I suppose drawing power can go into charisma. I've given each an average, but I've also recorded their biggest attributes in relation to their average perceived skill, which I think helps capture what you think about when you imagine that wrestler.

John Morrison:

SPOILER: show
Look/Presence: Morrison looks like a movie star and he can move like a ninja. I'm going to mark him down for "presence," because he has never really felt like he projects a true star aura. There is room for him to use his look to his advantage more.

Charisma: This is where I think Morrison takes a step back. I do love the guy, but something about him has always felt a bit wooden in certain roles. I think he's got a charismatic aura away from the business, but you need to be able to turn it on when the cameras are rolling. He's managed to stand out enough over his career though, and people have shown enough investment. I think it's easier to get buy without charisma when you've got a good look though, and I think that has always been the case for Morrison with his abs.

Ring Skills: Morrison actually wasn't in the business for as long as many people who get only half as good as he gets. Darren Young, for example, got his start in the business before Morrison did. There's been some great work to Morrison's name, and I don't think you can always pin it on his opponent. I don't necessarily think he's a brilliant wrestler or anything, but he manages to tie his spots together into a nice little frame well.

Mic Skills: Another area where Morrison starts to slip a bit. Some of his stuff has been okay, but others has been pretty dreadful. He's got the mind to be entertaining, but he sometimes has trouble putting it into practice. The guy could lend that mind to good promos, say less, say certain things, and get people into buildings. I am pretty confident in that. That being said, there's just not much evidence for that. I trust him to go out there and say what needs to be said, but I don't think he's going to knock it out of the park or really screw it up, but there is a chance of both. He's right in the middle, in my opinion.

Average: 6.75

Biggest Attribute Gap: +1.25 (Look)

Biggest Detriment Gap: -1.75 (Mic Skills)

Assessment: John Morrison looks like a god and can move like one. That's what you get him for. It's when you want someone with a larger than life personality to draw people into an arena that you begin to run flat with him.

The Miz:

Look/Presence: He doesn't look threatening at all. Handsome dude with a smug face you want to punch, but it affects his credibility as a fighter.

Charisma: The dude has been in the business for 13 years now. He's finally got people on board. Let's not pretend this guy has always had people lining up around the corner to see him.

In-Ring: The lower end of average. Not bad, by any means, but let's not pretend he stands out in any way.

Mic Skills: The dude can talk. I think he is overrated as a promo, but he can talk, and he seems to get what promos are about, and more and more he's been allowed to point them in the right direction. He'd make a tremendous manager.

Average: 5.5

Biggest Attribute: +2.5 (Mic Skills)

Biggest Detriment: -1.5 (Look/Presence and Ring Skills)

Assessment: Those who think that The Miz would do much better as a manager than as a wrestler are probably correct. His biggest shining point is, by far, his mic skills, whereas what drags him down is his look and skill inside a ring. Without any sort of threatening charisma, The Miz could lend his mouth to some wrestlers who are lacking in the charisma/mic skills department. You're not getting anything particularly bad with The Miz, but when rating him, it is important to keep in mind just how much better he is at talking than everything else, by almost half the grid.

Comparison:

Look/Presence: Not much else to say other than Morrison smokes Miz in this category.

Charisma: Some will say that I've been unfair giving the nod to Morrison here. It's really only a 5% advantage, and I'd have you think about to how successful their babyface runs were. It is much of a muchness here, and charisma is often filtered through other qualities -- some people are charismatic because you find their appearance hypnotizing, and others captivate you with speeches. Neither has really made a big dent to the WWE's bottom-line as far as I know, so I'm not as interested in this section.

In-Ring: Morrison again smokes Miz. I don't think anyone would really debate this too much. Morrison has had great matches, whereas Miz is lucky if he gets a "good" one with a great talent.

Mic Skills: And this is where Miz smokes Morrison without much debate. Not too much else to say on that particular point.

Biggest Difference: 4.0 in terms of look. This might seem exaggerated. I'd say that Miz has really worked on his "presence" as a star, so maybe the gap is narrower now in this area than it was. But if you put the two standing against each other in a ring, I know which one I am instantly going to be much more interested in. Dismissing this, you can then go to next biggest gap.

Biggest Attribute: The Miz's mic skills. He not only has a 3.0 advantage over Morrison, but a 2.5 average over himself. I think that's why when thinking about this, The Miz's mic skills have people saying they would take him -- it's easily the most notable talent being discussed.

Biggest Detriment: John Morrison's mic skills. So, in addition to The Miz being such a great talker, you've got Morrison who is notably let down in this department more so than either man in any other area. I do think he sits higher in the promo department than Miz does in terms of ring skills, but when you compare the two, it's easy to put emphasis on the strengths of Miz as a talker and the weakness of Morrison as a talker, even if it isn't objectively the weakest quality of either man (those being Miz's look and ring skills -- or possibly just his ring skills if you think I'm being too harsh).

So, my final assessment is that I think that if you break it down, while they aren't that far apart from each other in the grand annals of history, Morrison is probably still objectively "better" overall. If you put emphasis on ring skills and look, you're probably going to prefer Morrison (and that's an odd combo to have, if you really think about it), whereas Miz is going to hook those who prefer consistently better promos. If they were one wrestler, they'd probably be pretty fucking perfect, and it's actually a hard comparison to make, because you want to have good in-ring workers, people who look like stars, and people who can talk. I'd probably like to have both a Morrison and a Miz on my roster, and they don't really occupy the same roster space. A more fair comparison would probably be pitting Morrison against a Seth Rollins and Miz against a modern day Chris Jericho or even Kevin Owens.

What Miz brings is really unique though. Which is odd, because he's objectively pretty average in some areas that you kind of don't want a guy to be average in, but those help him stand out. I do think that those things can be amplified to generate real heat in a modern era, where people associate ring skills with "deserving" great things which makes it harder to stay heel. He might look pretty non-threatening, but then he's got Maryse -- who deserves a lot of credit for how effective Miz is. She enhances so much that is lacking from The Miz's act, which turns those detriments into weird sorts of strengths.

I can totally understand why people are saying Miz.
Old 09-23-2017, 04:38 AM   #50
Mr. Nerfect

And, for those who are interested, here is my break-down of Braun:

Look/Presence: Braun has got a weird dynamic going on. He is both simultaneously threatening and goofy. Remember when he looked like a giant Eugene in The Wyatt Family? He's managed to shed that with presence and slight tweaks to his look. I think his name is terrible, and that is part of his aesthetic. I think the parts that don't work, like with Miz's partnership with Maryse, are kind of weird strengths in a time where the fanbase cannot take the product completely seriously. I have a feeling that during the Attitude era, Austin is refusing to work with a dude that calls himself "Braun Strowman."

Charisma: A lot of people seem to be drawn to the Braun. I am not so much, but you have to look at what others do in this situation. The internet is in love with him, and he gets good live reactions. Ratings even seem to mildly react to him. Maybe it is because everything else is booked so shit, but for whatever reason, stuff seems to be working around this guy.

Ring Skills: There are some that think this guy is great. I am yet to see it. He's been involved in some fun brawls, but a lot of them involve him legitimately throwing shit at people's heads and genuinely risking the safety of guys he legitimately tosses over the top rope. It's fun, I get it, but I'm yet to see this guy really put on classics using the traditional tools of pro-wrestling. He's been breast-fed and protected. More power to him, but as his ring skill is exposed, that charisma might drop in future evaluations. I'm going average, because I don't think that's an offensive score at all. He's there. He does his job. If he's in there with people who matter, his work matters. If not, it doesn't.

Mic Skills: I actually like Strowman on the mic. I think his gruff voice is scarier than his appearance. He delivers lines with potency, from what I've heard, and you don't hear much about him embarrassing himself. He says he wants to kill people and it is generally received as such. There may not be a big body of great promo work, but there doesn't need to be.

Average: 6.625

Biggest Attribute: +0.875 (Look/Presence)

Biggest Detriment: -1.625 (Ring Skills)

Assessment: Braun Strowman is a big dude who captures the imagination enough and sells it with a grizzly voice. He's not offensive in the ring to effect people's enjoyment of him, and those who aren't expecting much might be genuinely surprised. A lot of guys with his size will often suck a lot more. He's also fairly consistently high across the board, which helps make him digestible, with his most noteworthy spike being that look of his, and his biggest detriment being his still relative "just thereness" in the ring.
By writing this out, I can identify what might hold me back on Braun -- he's got more of a noticable flaw, from my perspective, than a noticable strength. The Miz is fairly consistently average beyond his mic skills, but Strowman is fairly consistently "quite good" beyond his ring skills, which stands out to me. Writing this all down has helped me get more behind the things about Strowman that do work, almost instantly. It can be a good process for some.

Also, if Strowman continues to get better and better in the ring, and does work out ways to deliver better promos, and develops more of a presence, all whilst tweaking that look -- his charisma will probably go up too. There are definitely very big paws there.

So when it comes to Morrison vs. Strowman, I do think that Morrison is still incrementally better than Strowman, and it's noticeable especially in the bell-to-bell, but long-term vision will probably favor Strowman.

Last edited by Mr. Nerfect; 09-23-2017 at 06:45 PM.
Old 09-23-2017, 06:30 AM   #51
Sting Fan
Blander Than Ever

Sting Fan has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)Sting Fan has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)Sting Fan has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)Sting Fan has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)Sting Fan has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)Sting Fan has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)Sting Fan has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)Sting Fan has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)Sting Fan has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)Sting Fan has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)
Morrison but tbh both normally have me change the channel. Miz annoys me and Morrison screams jobber to me.
Sting Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 10:16 AM   #52
DaveWadding
LIMITLESS

DaveWadding makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)DaveWadding makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)DaveWadding makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)DaveWadding makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)DaveWadding makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)DaveWadding makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)DaveWadding makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)DaveWadding makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)DaveWadding makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)DaveWadding makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)DaveWadding makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)DaveWadding makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)DaveWadding makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickyTrickyDamon View Post

With all their movie production stuff we have no idea how many takes he got.
Talk to me about it when you've actually watched the show instead of crying about simulated man on woman violence.
DaveWadding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 10:28 AM   #53
Ol Dirty Dastard
boop/bop/beep

Ol Dirty Dastard makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Ol Dirty Dastard makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Ol Dirty Dastard makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Ol Dirty Dastard makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Ol Dirty Dastard makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Ol Dirty Dastard makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Ol Dirty Dastard makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Ol Dirty Dastard makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Ol Dirty Dastard makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Ol Dirty Dastard makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Ol Dirty Dastard makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Ol Dirty Dastard makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Ol Dirty Dastard makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Quote:
And, for those who are interested, here is my break-down of Braun:

Look/Presence: Braun has got a weird dynamic going on. He is both simultaneously threatening and goofy. Remember when he looked like a giant Eugene in The Wyatt Family? He's managed to shed that with presence and slight tweaks to his look. I think his name is terrible, and that is part of his aesthetic. I think the parts that don't work, like with Miz's partnership with Maryse, are kind of weird strengths in a time where the fanbase cannot take the product completely seriously. I have a feeling that during the Attitude era, Austin is refusing to work with a dude that calls himself "Braun Strowman" and comes off like he does a lot of the time.

Ol Dirty Dastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 11:06 AM   #54
Swiss Ultimate
Amazon Affiliate

Swiss Ultimate makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Swiss Ultimate makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Swiss Ultimate makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Swiss Ultimate makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Swiss Ultimate makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Swiss Ultimate makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Swiss Ultimate makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Swiss Ultimate makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Swiss Ultimate makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Swiss Ultimate makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Swiss Ultimate makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Swiss Ultimate makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Swiss Ultimate makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Quote:
Talk to me about it when you've actually watched the show instead of crying about simulated man on woman violence.
I LOVE MORRISON AND LUCHA UNDERGROUND.

I THINK MIZ WOULD DO WELL THERE, ACTUALLY.
Swiss Ultimate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 06:46 PM   #55
Mr. Nerfect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dastardly Dale Newstead View Post
Great point, Dale. #DaleFail
Old 09-23-2017, 10:48 PM   #56
Ruien
MVP Mark

Ruien makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Ruien makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Ruien makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Ruien makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Ruien makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Ruien makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Ruien makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Ruien makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Ruien makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Ruien makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Ruien makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Ruien makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Ruien makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Lol. Noid, Braun is so fucking over, is everything you want as a big man, and has charisma. So yea, he's just average. Okay
Ruien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 10:59 PM   #57
Ol Dirty Dastard
boop/bop/beep

Ol Dirty Dastard makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Ol Dirty Dastard makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Ol Dirty Dastard makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Ol Dirty Dastard makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Ol Dirty Dastard makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Ol Dirty Dastard makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Ol Dirty Dastard makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Ol Dirty Dastard makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Ol Dirty Dastard makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Ol Dirty Dastard makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Ol Dirty Dastard makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Ol Dirty Dastard makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Ol Dirty Dastard makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
350 pounds of rock solid muscle and looks like he could literally tear limbs from sockets. People believe he can go toe-to-toe with Brock (suspension of disbelief of course). If you're going to be mr. hyper critical guy at least be reasonable.

You can dislike the rest of his game, but a 7.5 in the look department for a guy who one of the most over guys in the company based on his look is just kind of retarded.
Old 09-23-2017, 11:27 PM   #58
Mr. Nerfect

Nailz was such a big star because of his look, right? Nathan Jones did so well because of his look. Billy Gunn looked like such a star. Brian Lee could be made up to look a lot like Undertaker. That would be automatically be successful right? Braun Strowman looks like a giant Eugene, and his name is literally meant to invoke the idea of "big dumb dude whose last name sounds like strongman." I'm sure he would have been packaged differently back in the day, but he might have also ended up in DOA doing nothing.

And, as I've stated, I think the reason people flock to him is because of how he's been booked. Look at how no one gave a shit about him when he first showed up. He didn't suddenly grow a whole bunch.
Old 09-23-2017, 11:37 PM   #59
Mr. Nerfect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruien View Post
Lol. Noid, Braun is so fucking over, is everything you want as a big man, and has charisma. So yea, he's just average. Okay
He's so fucking over that No Mercy still hasn't sold out. Is everything I want in a big man? Nope. Has charisma? I gave him 7/10. That's 70% on the charisma scale for a dude who can't sell out a PPV against Brock Lesnar. I think that's more than a fair score. Would you like me to put him up there with the likes of The Rock, Steve Austin, Hulk Hogan and Ric Flair? If anything, I've overrated Braun in charisma and mic skills. I maybe uncut him in terms of ring work. I don't think so though -- not when you put him in the grand scheme of things and consider just how good 7 and 8 out of 10 would be. Braun is not that good.

And yeah, I'd say he's just on the upper end of average when you're rating the best wrestlers of all-time. Especially when he's only like 3 years into his career. Would you put him up there with Andre as the best big man ever?
Old 09-23-2017, 11:51 PM   #60
#1-norm-fan
Resident drug enabler

#1-norm-fan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)#1-norm-fan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)#1-norm-fan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)#1-norm-fan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)#1-norm-fan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)#1-norm-fan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)#1-norm-fan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)#1-norm-fan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)#1-norm-fan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)#1-norm-fan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)#1-norm-fan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)#1-norm-fan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)#1-norm-fan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
I don't really have a problem with his name. "Strowman" sounds a little "NXT name generator"-like but Braun's a good hoss name.
#1-norm-fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 11:52 PM   #61
#1-norm-fan
Resident drug enabler

#1-norm-fan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)#1-norm-fan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)#1-norm-fan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)#1-norm-fan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)#1-norm-fan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)#1-norm-fan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)#1-norm-fan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)#1-norm-fan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)#1-norm-fan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)#1-norm-fan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)#1-norm-fan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)#1-norm-fan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)#1-norm-fan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
And yeah, people shit on him constantly before he started destroying Roman. His recent booking has a fuckton to do with how over he is. More so than charisma. He's good. I think it's been too long since people have seen a well-booked hoss that they're overrating him a little though.
Old 09-24-2017, 12:03 AM   #62
Mr. Nerfect

Quote:
Originally Posted by #1-wwf-fan View Post
I don't really have a problem with his name. "Strowman" sounds a little "NXT name generator"-like but Braun's a good hoss name.
I don't mind Braun. You could do a fair bit with that name. Do an homage to Andre and call him Monster Braun. It's a little cheesy, but "Braun Strowman" has the same problem, in addition to sounding like it was coined by a Simpsons writer. You might as well call him Muscles Bigman.

The dude's real name has got enough of a cool vibe to it: Adam Scherr. Adam is widely known as the alleged first man, so there are inclinations of him being some sort of prototype and having an Old Testamenty wrath about him. Frankenstein's monster was also routinely compared to Adam. There's something Promethean about it that you could have exploited early on.
Old 09-24-2017, 12:04 AM   #63
Mr. Nerfect

Quote:
And yeah, people shit on him constantly before he started destroying Roman. His recent booking has a fuckton to do with how over he is. More so than charisma. He's good. I think it's been too long since people have seen a well-booked hoss that they're overrating him a little though.
Doesn't sound like the internet at all.
Old 09-24-2017, 12:23 AM   #64
Ruien
MVP Mark

Ruien makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Ruien makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Ruien makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Ruien makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Ruien makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Ruien makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Ruien makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Ruien makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Ruien makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Ruien makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Ruien makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Ruien makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Ruien makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Quote:
He's so fucking over that No Mercy still hasn't sold out. Is everything I want in a big man? Nope. Has charisma? I gave him 7/10. That's 70% on the charisma scale for a dude who can't sell out a PPV against Brock Lesnar. I think that's more than a fair score. Would you like me to put him up there with the likes of The Rock, Steve Austin, Hulk Hogan and Ric Flair? If anything, I've overrated Braun in charisma and mic skills. I maybe uncut him in terms of ring work. I don't think so though -- not when you put him in the grand scheme of things and consider just how good 7 and 8 out of 10 would be. Braun is not that good.

And yeah, I'd say he's just on the upper end of average when you're rating the best wrestlers of all-time. Especially when he's only like 3 years into his career. Would you put him up there with Andre as the best big man ever?
Since when do low tier ppv selll out? I honestly don't know because I don't care that much about the world of wrestling so it's a serious question.
Old 09-24-2017, 12:26 AM   #65
Ruien
MVP Mark

Quote:
Rusev was built perfectly for like a year.

Braun was over before Roman too in a heel way. Even with his Sami Zayn feud.
Old 09-24-2017, 01:13 AM   #66
Lock Jaw
Loque Ja

Braun started to get over after the brand split and killing jobbers and saying FEED ME THREE and all that
Old 09-24-2017, 01:20 AM   #67
#1-norm-fan
Resident drug enabler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruien View Post
Rusev was built perfectly for like a year.
I should have said a well-booked main event hoss. Rusev was doing great in the mid-card. His first taste of the main event was against Cena though and that's when it all went downhill.
Old 09-24-2017, 06:10 AM   #68
Mr. Nerfect

I don't see how Rusev being built perfectly for like a year, which did earn him goodwill, is evidence that good booking didn't help Braun? I wouldn't say that Rusev is the same type of performer as Braun though. Rusev was always presented as more of a "tank." A lot more of a hybrid and agile sort of guy with a "legit" background. Strowman was always "big."
Old 09-24-2017, 08:56 AM   #69
Ol Dirty Dastard
boop/bop/beep

Quote:
Nailz was such a big star because of his look, right? Nathan Jones did so well because of his look. Billy Gunn looked like such a star. Brian Lee could be made up to look a lot like Undertaker. That would be automatically be successful right? Braun Strowman looks like a giant Eugene, and his name is literally meant to invoke the idea of "big dumb dude whose last name sounds like strongman." I'm sure he would have been packaged differently back in the day, but he might have also ended up in DOA doing nothing.

And, as I've stated, I think the reason people flock to him is because of how he's been booked. Look at how no one gave a shit about him when he first showed up. He didn't suddenly grow a whole bunch.
Braun Straw-man himself using straw-man.
Old 09-24-2017, 09:21 AM   #70
Ol Dirty Dastard
boop/bop/beep

But I'll humour your silly response.

Nailz was pushed because of his look. Sadly, he couldn't work a lick and he also choked Vince McMahon to within an inch of his life.

Nathan Jones was a generic big man. Looked like a bouncer, very bland.

Billy Gunn was 6'5" 260 pounds in a sea of 6'5" 250 pounders.

So your examples are irrelevant and retarded.

Anyways, PARDON MY HYPERBOLE but his look has A LOT to do with a) his reactions and b) how he's been booked. You think anyone is buying it if Samoa Joe or Seth Rollins are beating the fuck out of Roman and flipping him over in an ambulance? HE LOOKS CREDIBLE. It's very simple. Call him retarded Eugene all you like to make yourself feel better I guess, but he's about as impressive a damn specimen I've seen in a long time.

I can't help if you're unable to decipher what I'm trying to say because you're too far up your own ass. But your response had very little to do with what I was saying Mr. Straw-man.
Old 09-24-2017, 09:33 AM   #71
Sixx
LUV CABBAGE/H8 JEWS

Sixx makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Sixx makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Sixx makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Sixx makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Sixx makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Sixx makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Sixx makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Sixx makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Sixx makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Sixx makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Sixx makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Sixx makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Sixx makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Hm. I honestly thought Strowman was way taller. Apparently he's 6'8, same as Hogan.
Old 09-24-2017, 09:38 AM   #72
Ol Dirty Dastard
boop/bop/beep

They always inflate height. Showbiz, pal.
Old 09-24-2017, 09:39 AM   #73
Ol Dirty Dastard
boop/bop/beep

Though Hogan is likely around 6'5"
Old 09-24-2017, 09:41 AM   #74
Ol Dirty Dastard
boop/bop/beep

Quote:
More so than charisma. He's good. I think it's been too long since people have seen a well-booked hoss that they're overrating him a little though.
I'd agree tbh. Someone who's actually been kept strong. Hell they don't even keep Roman as strong as they keep Braun.

My only beef is with Noid deriding his look.
Old 09-24-2017, 09:45 AM   #75
Sixx
LUV CABBAGE/H8 JEWS

Not talking about billed height but real height. Hogan is supposedly 6'8.

Look at us arguing like two soccer moms about which actresses have fake tits.
Old 09-24-2017, 09:46 AM   #76
Ol Dirty Dastard
boop/bop/beep

Hey MAY have been 6'8" but I doubt it. Nowadays he's definitely NOT 6'8" because of his back injuries.
Old 09-24-2017, 10:28 AM   #77
Ruien
MVP Mark

Quote:
I don't see how Rusev being built perfectly for like a year, which did earn him goodwill, is evidence that good booking didn't help Braun? I wouldn't say that Rusev is the same type of performer as Braun though. Rusev was always presented as more of a "tank." A lot more of a hybrid and agile sort of guy with a "legit" background. Strowman was always "big."
Seriously? Read the post I responded to. Even Fan said he should have worded it different. You know, the guy who wrote it.
Old 09-24-2017, 10:41 AM   #78
Maluco
Reigning Tipsters Champ!

Maluco got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Maluco got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Maluco got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Maluco got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Maluco got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Maluco got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Maluco got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Maluco got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Maluco got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Maluco got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Maluco got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Maluco got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anybody Thrilla View Post
Question for the Miz voters...did you always feel that way?
Definitely not, he looked stupid when he started out and had "reality TV star looking to stay relevent" stank on him. Whereas Morrison had a cool moveset, looked great and felt like he was going to be a big star.

Miz is such a great talker that he legitimised himself over time and he slowly found a look which worked for him.

I actually think that Maryse was missing piece of the puzzle. A valet can always help a heel look more important and I think having his hot wife around and rubbing it in people's faces only helps.

Also have immense respect for him after I heard what he went through in the beginning. Being thrown out of dressing room and all that. He fought hard to get where he is and it's hard now in an internet age not to know about that and respect it.
Maluco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 10:42 AM   #79
Maluco
Reigning Tipsters Champ!

Maluco got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Maluco got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Maluco got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Maluco got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Maluco got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Maluco got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Maluco got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Maluco got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Maluco got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Maluco got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Maluco got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Maluco got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)
Also, Braun Strowman is awesome. It's a pity he will be forever locked in battles with Roman Reigns, who is not awesome at all
Maluco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 10:46 AM   #80
Sixx
LUV CABBAGE/H8 JEWS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dastardly Dale Newstead View Post
Hey MAY have been 6'8" but I doubt it. Nowadays he's definitely NOT 6'8" because of his back injuries.
Sucking cock more like it.