TPWW Forums  

Go Back   TPWW Forums > o f f t o p i c > entertainment forum

Old 09-07-2011, 09:38 PM   #1841
Lock Jaw
Loque Ja

Lock Jaw makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Lock Jaw makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Lock Jaw makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Lock Jaw makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Lock Jaw makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Lock Jaw makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Lock Jaw makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Lock Jaw makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Lock Jaw makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Lock Jaw makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Lock Jaw makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Lock Jaw makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Lock Jaw makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Lock Jaw Reviews The New 52

Batgirl #1

SPOILER: show
Alright. Gotta admit, I liked this one.

Barbara Gordon is back in action. The Killing Joke is still in continuity, and she was still in a wheelchair. Thanks to "a miracle" she is now up and walking again. Naturally, she puts back on the Batgirl suit (which looks kinda armored now. Not the best, but not the worst either).

We see that she is rusty, and that the psychological effects of being shot still get to her. Especially now that she is putting herself in the line of fire again.

All in all, a good read.

Justice League International #1

Another one I enjoyed. Always liked books/characters with an international feel to them.

The team isn't quite there yet, but shows potential for growth. Feels like it could be a "fun" book. Enjoyed it much more than regular Justice League.

Biggest nitpick is that Booster Gold's redesign is pretty lame. Plus no sign of Skeets, his robot pal.

Swamp Thing #1

So this seems to be one of the titles that did not get a reboot at all. Seems to pick up pretty much where Brightest Day and the Brightest Day Aftermath series left off.

Alec Holland is alive again and trying to move on with his life, but of course it seems that he can't. Meanwhile, other mysterious stuff is happening. Also, Superman shows up for a conversation and pisses me off with the way he looks.

Not that much happens in the issue, but it is just enough to keep me interested.

Detective Comics #1

Pretty good. Not much to say about this one. Pretty "shocking" ending. Definitely has my interest.

One thing I am noticing, between this and Batgirl, Commissioner Gordon seems a bit younger. No white hair anymore. Or maybe he got some Just For Men.

Stormwatch #1

A bunch of characters from the now defunct Wildstorm universe are being introduced to the DC Universe with this one. Despite the Stormwatch name, the characters within seem to be more from The Authority rather than any Stormwatch I am familiar with (which, to be fair, is not much).

In fact, I am not really familiar with these characters at all. So I was kinda confused reading the issue. Not really a good intro for anybody who doesn't know these people already.

Only character I am familiar with is Martian Manhunter, who is apparently part of the team. He has a pretty "meh" redesign, but it is still better than his "One Year Later" redesign. His personality seems like it is more "cold" and uhhh... "gritty".

Anyways, I feel like I can't really judge this series yet. It seems like it could go either way.

O.M.A.C. #1

Pretty much what you would expect it to be. The series that no one asked for. Featuring a pretty lame re-imagining of the Cadmus Project. Seems like the gist of this series is dude gets periodically transformed into a robot by Brother Eye, and does its bidding. Definitely gonna be one of the first on the chopping block.

Animal Man #1

Pretty great actually. Probably my favorite of the bunch so far. Really interested in this series and where it goes. I don't even mind Animal Man's new costume. For those not familiar with Animal Man, what made him great is the family dynamic. He is a married man with two kids. Seems like nothing much has changed in that regard.

Last edited by Lock Jaw; 09-07-2011 at 11:42 PM.
Lock Jaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 11:03 AM   #1842
Kalyx triaD
Raw Video Footage

Kalyx triaD makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Kalyx triaD makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Kalyx triaD makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Kalyx triaD makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Kalyx triaD makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Kalyx triaD makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Kalyx triaD makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Kalyx triaD makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Kalyx triaD makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Kalyx triaD makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Kalyx triaD makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Kalyx triaD makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Kalyx triaD makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Just a note, not a reply to anybody in particular:

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLegend View Post
If you are going to put pictures in here... Can you please put spoiler tags on it? Now in the [any specific movie] thread you can do what you want, because that's the thread and if I go in there and I procede at my own risk
And it is law.
Kalyx triaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 01:03 PM   #1843
LuigiD

LuigiD has a good deal of rep (10,000+)LuigiD has a good deal of rep (10,000+)LuigiD has a good deal of rep (10,000+)LuigiD has a good deal of rep (10,000+)LuigiD has a good deal of rep (10,000+)LuigiD has a good deal of rep (10,000+)
Got the chance to read some of the DC books..
Liked JLA..it is interesting. While the hardcore fans of Superman are angry, I kinda like what they are doing with the character. Perhaps it will evolve as some have pointed out. I feel like he was given the "edge" he was always missing to me.
LuigiD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 01:49 PM   #1844
Nowhere Man
Now. Here. Man.

Nowhere Man got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Nowhere Man got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Nowhere Man got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Nowhere Man got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Nowhere Man got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Nowhere Man got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Nowhere Man got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Nowhere Man got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Nowhere Man got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Nowhere Man got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Nowhere Man got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Nowhere Man got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)
That's the whole fucking point of Superman. He's not an angry 'badass' character like everyone else. He doesn't break in, insult people, and threaten them with his death-ray eyes. He's the guy you can actually trust, the guy you want leading the team because you know he's going to do the right thing.

I guess I should reserve judgment til I actually read it, but the idea of him just being Batman with a different costume really, really annoys me. DCnU's got too much Batman as it is.
Nowhere Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 08:01 PM   #1845
LuigiD

LuigiD has a good deal of rep (10,000+)LuigiD has a good deal of rep (10,000+)LuigiD has a good deal of rep (10,000+)LuigiD has a good deal of rep (10,000+)LuigiD has a good deal of rep (10,000+)LuigiD has a good deal of rep (10,000+)
Don't get me wrong, I understand why people like the old Superman the way he was. To me tho, that is not enough. I don't believe that there is "good guys" for the sake of being good. I am interested to see where the character goes. Who knows, maybe at this point he is just "immature".
Old 09-08-2011, 08:09 PM   #1846
Lock Jaw
Loque Ja

Lock Jaw makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Lock Jaw makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Lock Jaw makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Lock Jaw makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Lock Jaw makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Lock Jaw makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Lock Jaw makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Lock Jaw makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Lock Jaw makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Lock Jaw makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Lock Jaw makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Lock Jaw makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Lock Jaw makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
I get the point that it is a young and brash Supes in Action Comics, but still... For Action Comics #1... for any kids just getting into it... their first impression of Superman should not be dark and gritty.
Old 09-08-2011, 09:43 PM   #1847
dronepool
the low Art Gloominati

dronepool has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)dronepool has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)dronepool has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)dronepool has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)dronepool has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)dronepool has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)dronepool has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)dronepool has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)dronepool has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)dronepool has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lock Jaw View Post
I get the point that it is a young and brash Supes in Action Comics, but still... For Action Comics #1... for any kids just getting into it... their first impression of Superman should not be dark and gritty.
I love it, but yeah I see what you mean but Morrison always wanted to write Golden Age Superman and this fist arc is his chance, after issue 6, it'll be up to modern times and we'll probably get a similar Supes, just maybe a bit more gritty because his parents died earlier now... I guess it's all depending on writer, but anyway, isn't dark and gritty all the rage for kids these days?

Maybe the regular Superman title will be more like the Clark we know? We'll see.
dronepool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 03:10 AM   #1848
Nowhere Man
Now. Here. Man.

Nowhere Man got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Nowhere Man got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Nowhere Man got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Nowhere Man got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Nowhere Man got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Nowhere Man got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Nowhere Man got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Nowhere Man got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Nowhere Man got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Nowhere Man got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Nowhere Man got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Nowhere Man got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)
Okay, so my morbid curiosity finally got the better of me. Rather than just take other people's word for it, I went out and actually grabbed a copy of Action 1. After what Lock Jaw said, I went in fully expecting to hate it.

And I ended up really, really liking it.

Don't get me wrong, it doesn't start off well. If there was a great big list of Things Superman Should Never Ever Say, "I'm your worst nightmare" would be right up at the top, along with calling people "rats" and threatening them with his laser eyes. That really rubbed me the wrong way.

However, once I got past that initial bit where Morrison apparently forgot he wasn't writing Batman, things do start to find their groove. Since the first arc of Action Comics is apparently them doing Golden Age-era stuff, I liked a lot of the nods they made to it, like referencing him roughing up a wifebeater and knocking around Nazis (well, Neo-Nazis in this case). The fact that Clark Kent's working at the Daily Star instead of the Daily Planet is another nice Golden Age homage, and it sets up a nice rivalry between Clark and Lois Lane, as well as some interesting stuff for Jimmy Olsen, as he works with Lois but has been best friends with Clark since he moved into Metropolis.

The comic itself moves at a really fast pace, but still manages to put in a lot of detail, hitting the major points of what's been going on in Clark's life and what Metropolis is like. Rags Morales' artwork is solid on the whole, but some of the faces look a little weird at points (Luthor's face is way too round IMO). And while the dialogue can be really grating here and there (again, "I'm your worst nightmare"....ugh.), the way everything's laid out still makes it a good read.

I still don't like the whole T-shirt and blue jeans look, but it does make sense if Superman's just starting out, and doesn't have access to the Fortress of Solitude or anything to make a proper suit. He seems a lot more utilitarian, and to be honest, it does make a little more sense that he'd be able to just hide the shirt under Clark's everyday clothes. I'm still hoping that he'll be wearing the proper tights and trunks at some point in between his 'mean streets' look and that stupid fucking armor Jim Lee made.

Character-wise, Superman's a little rough around the edges, again, more like he was in the late 30s and early 40s. It's actually a nice way to add some of those 'flaws' that so many non-fans complain about him needing, without making him a whiny selfish bitch like he was in Earth-One. Superman's cocky, overconfident, and has a pretty nasty temper, which is getting him on the bad side of the law and the military, and bull-headed enough that he'll charge right into whatever situation without knowing or even caring that it's a trap. That said, he's still going out of his way to save innocent people without needing some selfish motivation to do it, so at his core he's still Superman. Again, not exactly the Big Blue Boy Scout, but I'm assuming over the course of the comic we'll see him grow up and become a more genuine hero.

Keeping in line with the Golden Age stuff, his powers are pretty limited-- he can't fly yet, and his invulnerability hasn't really kicked in, so he's only just 'really goddamn tough.' I've stated time and time again that I don't like watered-down Superman; I like my Superman big and ridiculous and over-the-top, having to solve even bigger and more ridiculous crises. However, for the purposes of starting a new ongoing series, I do think it's a step in the right direction for them to ratchet that down a bit and have him grow back into it over time. If anything, it'll be a way to silence non-fans who bitch and gripe about how he's "too powerful."

I really liked the use of Lex Luthor in this issue, too, the way they're already establishing him as a major player in Metropolis and as a credible threat to Superman. It was also really refreshing to see Lex manage to incapacitate Supes without immediately resorting to Kryptonite or red solar rays.

All in all, I ended up reading Action Comics #1 three times today. The first time was me poring through it as the outraged fan looking for things to nitpick and get angry at. The second time was when I'd calmed down a bit, digested what I'd read, and then came back to it a little more objectively. The third time I read it just because I liked it so much the second time that I wanted to read it again. No, it's not the Superman that I've read and loved for years......at least not yet. But it is an entertaining comic, one that has an awful lot of potential to grow into a genuinely great series.

I wanted to hate this comic, I really did. I wanted to be mad and outraged and offended by how badly they got everything wrong, and therefore be justified for hating the DCU reboot from the word go. And from the reviews I've read of some of the other books, I'm still not sold on DCnU as a whole. But at the very least, Action Comics has sold me on it. It may be Superman For People Who Don't Like Superman, but instead of trying to turn him into something he never was (Smallville, Earth One), Morrison's instead brought back the spirit of the original Superman and put him in a modern setting. It's like watching one of the old Max Fleischer Superman cartoons, just with new clothing. It's not quite the iconic demigod character I wanted, but it is quite a bit of fun.

I still hate the fucking costumes, though.
Old 09-09-2011, 05:13 AM   #1849
Captain of Fun

Captain of Fun has a great deal of rep (15,000+)Captain of Fun has a great deal of rep (15,000+)Captain of Fun has a great deal of rep (15,000+)Captain of Fun has a great deal of rep (15,000+)Captain of Fun has a great deal of rep (15,000+)Captain of Fun has a great deal of rep (15,000+)Captain of Fun has a great deal of rep (15,000+)
Captain of Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 09:40 AM   #1850
LuigiD

Interesting story:
http://comicbookmovie.com/fansites/r.../news/?a=46098

Religious comic store owners are boycotting Action Comics #1.
Old 09-09-2011, 12:55 PM   #1851
dronepool
the low Art Gloominati

dronepool has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)dronepool has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)dronepool has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)dronepool has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)dronepool has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)dronepool has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)dronepool has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)dronepool has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)dronepool has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)dronepool has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)
lol, "GD" could mean anything. Out of all the 'blasphemous ' stuff other comics tend to have, this is nothing. This is just a gimmick to get their store a 'plug'.
dronepool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 11:10 PM   #1852
Nowhere Man
Now. Here. Man.

I thought it was just him grunting.
Old 09-11-2011, 02:25 PM   #1853
Lock Jaw
Loque Ja

Lock Jaw Reviews The New 52

The remaining Week 1 titles:

Batwing #1

When announced, I immediately thought this series as superfluous as and and as screaming desperately "HEY EVERYBODY!! LOOK HOW DIVERSE WE ARE! LOOK!".

I did actually enjoy it though. I don't see this book lasting, but it could be cool for awhile.

Green Arrow #1

Seems really different. Ollie seems younger, and less "world weary". New costume isn't bad. I don't mind him losing his trademark beard and stache either.

He seems to have a support team of tech people. He also still has some sort of job with Queen Industries.

He makes some comments in the issue, that make me question whether his origin has changed some or not.

Overall, not a terrible book... but not great either. Perfectly average.

Hawk & Dove #1

To be honest, I have never really cared for these characters. The Rob Liefield art in this book certainly did not help. Nevertheless, it was not terrible.

Continuity is confusing though. For some reason, Hawk does not really like Dove anymore. He misses his brother, the previous Dove, who died during the Crisis on Infinite Earths. So, I guess that story still happened in some way.

Brightest Day also seems to have happened in someway, because the Dawn and Deadman thing is present.

Anyways, not a terrible book. Still, I just don't enjoy these characters.

Men of War #1

Pretty meh. As the title suggests, this is an "army comic". Main character seems to be a descendant of Sgt. Rock.

Pretty much jumped the shark as a war comic already, when some flying, super fast, and super strong Metahuman appeared. Was hoping for something more "realistic" out of this book.

It could still turn out to be good, I guess, but I don't see it lasting.

Static Shock #1

First of all, his new costume is pretty terrible looking. Second, I admit to not being TOO familiar with Static but... he seems to have changed.

Seems less awkward and nerdy and more "I'm a genius, but I'm also in high school".

Anyways, did not really care for this issue.
Old 09-11-2011, 02:32 PM   #1854
Lock Jaw
Loque Ja

Ranking the First Week:

1) Animal Man
2) Batgirl
3) Justice League International
4) Detective Comics
5) Swamp Thing
6) Batwing
7) Action Comics
8) Justice League
9) Stormwatch
10) Green Arrow
11) Hawk and Dove
12) Static Shock
13) O.M.A.C.
14) Men of War
Old 09-11-2011, 02:41 PM   #1855
The Destroyer
Baird

The Destroyer makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)The Destroyer makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)The Destroyer makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)The Destroyer makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)The Destroyer makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)The Destroyer makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)The Destroyer makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)The Destroyer makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)The Destroyer makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)The Destroyer makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)The Destroyer makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)The Destroyer makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)The Destroyer makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
I can see several of this week's titles being cancelled pretty quickly.
The Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 05:00 PM   #1856
Boondock Saint

Boondock Saint is good (20,000+)Boondock Saint is good (20,000+)Boondock Saint is good (20,000+)Boondock Saint is good (20,000+)Boondock Saint is good (20,000+)Boondock Saint is good (20,000+)Boondock Saint is good (20,000+)Boondock Saint is good (20,000+)
Animal Man was definitely the best of the ones I read (Action, Stormwatch, JLI, JL, Detective)

I've read really good things about Swamp Thing so I'm probably going to pick that up. I do like Scott Snyder, his Detective Comics was great and am looking forward to his new run on Batman.
Boondock Saint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 07:30 PM   #1857
Lock Jaw
Loque Ja

Lock Jaw "Reviews" The New 52

Week #2

Superboy #1

Overall, a terrible first issue. He has lost every piece of character development he has ever had and is starting off fresh. As in freshly cloned by something called N.O.W.H.E.R.E.

Instead of attempting to make him interesting, Superboy lives in a tube/lab and is all alienated and non-human acting.

In the end, looks like they are gonna sick him on the Teen Titans.

I guess this book could improve down the line, since it is literally a blank slate right now.

I just don't get why they used Cadmus in the OMAC book and not for this one.

Batman and Robin #1

Hmmm... I have to say... Something feels "off". I just don't like the interaction between Bruce and Damien as partners. I think Damien was a much better foil for Dick Grayson. I have faith that I will grow to like it though.

This did get me thinking though... once again about the confusing continuity. If Batman only appeared five years or so ago... how could Damien even be that old? Unless in the new continuity he was conceived while Bruce was around the world training.

Anyways, the whole Batman Incorporated thing seems to still be in continuity as well.

Deathstroke #1

Whole issue is basically to set up that this guy is a badass. And it works. Might be even a bit too badass for my liking. Also has some mystery going on, that leaves you wanting to know more. On the surface of it, his costume redesign looked very bad, bulked up with armour and spikes, but in action it kind of works in the new tone. I don't really think it was necessary though.

Overall, of course, I think the character was better before the reboot... but was not complete garbage now either.

Frankenstein - Agent of S.H.A.D.E. #1

I have never really cared for the Frankenstein character or, the whole S.H.A.D.E. thing. Anyways, this comic is basically all about monsters and creatures.

I still don't really care for S.H.A.D.E. and the return of the Father Time character who I really did not like. This time Father Time seems to be a little girl though. Whatever.

Only thing that is really keeping me interested in this book is that Ray Palmer is in it. Apparently he has not become The Atom yet, but he IS an expert in shrinking stuff, and science in general.

Also, the writer is a good writer, so he might be able to sway my opinion on the book.

Suicide Squad #1

Slutty Harley Quinn. Terrible redesigned Deadshot. King Shark. Some new(maybe) characters. The concept is pretty much the same. Villains in jail do time on the Suicide Squad to reduce their sentences.

Other than all the terrible redesigns (including a young and skinny, possibly slutty, Amanda Waller), it could be "decent".

Resurrection Man #1

I really enjoyed this one. Gist of it is that Mitch Shelley resurrects every time he dies. Each time he does so, he comes back with a different power, and a compulsion to do something. He seems to be hunted by one or more groups, because his soul is "overdue" or "powerful" or something. Yeah. I liked it. Makes me want to read the original series from the 90s. Same writers. Plus I heard good things about the 90s series. Looking forward to more of this one.

Legion Lost #1

A bunch of Legion of Super-Heroes members follow some baddie back in time and wind up stuck there. They could have at least given them one of the bigger names of the bunch. I bet the rest of the Legion are sitting in the future, chillin', not even noticing that half these guys are gone. Anyways, nothing special. Not terrible, but nothing special.

Green Lantern #1

Unaffected by the reboot at all. Continuing directly from War of the Green Lanterns. I guess as one of the men in charge of the reboot, Geoff Johns can do whatever he wants. I'm not complaining though, Green Lantern was "the goods" before the reboot. Just absurd how it is the only one that doesn't change a SINGLE THING.

Red Lanterns #1

I do not really see the point of giving the Red Lanterns their own series, but here it is... and it is good. Once again, picking up from War of the Green Lanterns. Atrocitus is already getting more fleshed out rather than just being ANGRY DUDE. They seem to be going in the direction of making him into a Spectre-type character. Vengeance and all that. I hope the other Red Lanterns get some more personality as well.

Grifter #1

Another character coming over from the Wildstorm universe, that I know nothing about. This seems to be an origin story at least. Cole Cash is a con man, or "grifter", if you will. Something mysterious happened to him and now he hears voices in his head and the people whose voices they are are trying to kill him or something. Ok. Didn't really find it anything special, but I will give it a chance.

Done for now.

Last edited by Lock Jaw; 09-14-2011 at 10:45 PM.
Old 09-15-2011, 07:59 PM   #1858
Nowhere Man
Now. Here. Man.

And now the second opinions from NM:

Batman and Robin-
Y'know, I really don't like Damian as Robin, especially not while Bruce is Batman. With the proper Batman back in the cowl, you really need a foil to lighten the mood. Damian worked while Dick was Batman, because you had the interesting role-reversal of Batman being the lighter character with Robin as the brooding violent sociopath. Now you've just got the brooding violent sociopath and the other brooding violent sociopath. That, and if they're really going to keep Batman's whole continuity basically unchanged except for compressing time, then that means he's gone through 1 Robin basically every year or two, and that really doesn't look good for him. The plot wasn't much to speak of, as this was basically just them showing how the new Dynamic Duo works.....but to me, the new Dynamic Duo doesn't work. Perhaps it'll grow on me, but I'm seriously missing Tim as Robin right now.

Superboy-
I'm iffy on this one. I quite liked Red, and the portrayal of Superboy is interesting. Very nice character piece, but like SJ, I think they're trying too hard to plow through his development to shove him into the Teen Titans. Also, the N.O.W.H.E.R.E. organization really should have been Cadmus, and I believe they would have been if DiDio hadn't called dibs on them for OMAC. And I'm a little confused on the continuity-- in Swamp Thing they alluded to the fact that Superman already died and came back, but Superboy was a pretty integral part of the Return arc. So, Death of Superman happened, but Reign of the Supermen didn't, I guess?

Batwoman-
I've never read Batwoman before because I have never given a tinker's damn about Batwoman (you've already got Batgirl, who's more famous, more interesting, and has a much better costume to boot), and this didn't really do anything to change my mind. Very talky book, without much to make her stand out from the more interesting Bat-characters.

Deathstroke-
The artwork is very nice, and the supporting characters were actually fairly entertaining (which makes it all the more disappointing that they're casually killed off at the end). Unfortunately, as hard as they're trying to make Deathstroke super-cool and badass and whatnot, he's actually the least interesting character in his own book. Grimace, say a 'badass' one-liner, kill some people, continue grimacing. He's Batman with a body count and without character development.

Green Lantern-
I didn't read Brightest Day or War of the Green Lanterns, so I'm a little lost as to how Hal's ring ended up on Sinestro. However, once you get into it, it's actually quite entertaining. The 'down-and-out Hal' stuff may be trying a little too hard to dump misfortune in his lap in order to make him more relatable than his usual self, but honestly it works. And Sinestro is as awesome as ever, so that's nice. While I'm a little annoyed that folks like Superman are getting rebuilt from the ground-up but the convoluted and often difficult-to-follow GL mythos is left completely intact, this is as good a place as any to jump on.

Red Lanterns-
I don't really get the point of the Red Lanterns getting their own book, but at least they're trying to make it work. Atrocitus is basically the Spectre in space now, using his rage powers to become an instrument of vengeance, but the rest of the Red Lanterns still seem to just be snarling monster-people with very little to differentiate themselves from the Sinestro Corps.

Frankenstein, Agent of S.H.A.D.E.-
I'd never read Frankenstein before, but this one did hook me. It reminded me an awful lot of Hellboy, and I loves me some Hellboy. This should be a very entertaining creature comic.

Demon Knights-
Pretty mediocre title, to be honest. They do an awful lot of name-dropping and just kind of expect you to already know who most of these people are, which isn't good if you're a new reader or just never paid attention to DC's sword-and-sorcery stuff. Not as bad as Hawk and Dove (at least the artwork's decent), but definitely one of the weaker books I've read so far.

Legion Lost-
I know next to nothing about any of these characters, and they didn't do a good job explaining who any of them were, what they could do, how they ended up here, or really anything to get me to care about what was going on. It just expects you to have already read Flashpoint (or their tie-in, more likely) without anything to clue you in on the proceedings. So, yeah, I couldn't bring myself to care about this book at all; it just felt like padding so they could bring the list of books up to the magic '52' they were looking for.

Grifter-
Interesting premise, a con-artist being stalked by some sort of demons that possess people to attack him. His costume looks like a D-list Image hero, though. Overall, not a bad comic, but I'm not sure if it's solid enough to keep me coming back for more.

Mr. Terrific-

Pretty entertaining comic, does a good job of setting him up as a solo hero instead of just "that guy who's on the JSA." I'm a sucker for super-science heroes, and he's definitely one of DC's better ones. I didn't really fall in love with it, but I liked it just fine.

Resurrection Man-
Very cool comic, one that I hope sticks around. This is how you get people hooked on a character they haven't read before.

Suicide Squad-
There is absolutely no excuse for Harley Quinn to have been redesigned that badly. Seriously, she looks like a biker's tattoo; whoever green-lit that should be ashamed of themselves. Overall, the comic doesn't really do anything new, but I guess sets up the basics of how the Squad works. The writing's serviceable, but I can't get past how trashy Harley looks, and when that's the most memorable thing your book has to offer, you're in trouble.

All in all, Week 2 of the New 52 was pretty weak compared to Week 1. A lot of comics that just felt unnecessary, and comics that expect you to have read everything leading up to the 'reboot' to understand what's going on (which, again, is counterintuitive to the whole premise of the new universe) Some surprisingly good books in it, that I'm sure will be sleeper hits, but overall I felt a lot of what came out this week was just padding.
Old 09-16-2011, 12:51 AM   #1859
Captain of Fun

Captain of Fun has a great deal of rep (15,000+)Captain of Fun has a great deal of rep (15,000+)Captain of Fun has a great deal of rep (15,000+)Captain of Fun has a great deal of rep (15,000+)Captain of Fun has a great deal of rep (15,000+)Captain of Fun has a great deal of rep (15,000+)Captain of Fun has a great deal of rep (15,000+)
I don't understand how some character continuities changed and others haven't. How does that work?
Old 09-16-2011, 01:10 AM   #1860
Lock Jaw
Loque Ja

A wizard did it.

Or some lady in a red cloak who appeared in Flashpoint #5, and has thus far appeared in every New 52 comic somewhere lurking in the background of a panel.
Old 09-16-2011, 03:13 AM   #1861
Fox
"Ask him!"

Fox has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)Fox has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)Fox has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)Fox has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)Fox has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)Fox has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)Fox has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)Fox has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)Fox has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)Fox has a relatively large amount of rep (50,000+)
Not to be a dick, but isn't this thread supposed to be about DC "movie" news? Not DC Comic book news? \\

Just saying.
Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 03:41 AM   #1862
Juan
Doin' It Right

Juan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Juan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Juan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Juan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Juan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Juan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Juan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Juan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Juan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Juan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Juan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Juan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Juan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
I think that ship sailed about 40 pages ago
Juan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 04:42 AM   #1863
Captain of Fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox View Post
Not to be a dick, but isn't this thread supposed to be about DC "movie" news? Not DC Comic book news? \\

Just saying.
(insert hilarious "deal with it" gif here)
Old 09-16-2011, 12:35 PM   #1864
Lock Jaw
Loque Ja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox View Post

Just saying.
I have said multiple times that this, and the Marvel Movie News thread, should have their titles changed. No one listens. So I discuss more than movies anyways. I AM A REBEL.
Old 09-16-2011, 01:14 PM   #1865
XL
Feeling Oof-y

XL makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)XL makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)XL makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)XL makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)XL makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)XL makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)XL makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)XL makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)XL makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)XL makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)XL makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)XL makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)XL makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
I second Lock Jaw's Mission To Change The Thread Names.
XL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 02:10 PM   #1866
Kalyx triaD
Raw Video Footage

Kalyx triaD makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Kalyx triaD makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Kalyx triaD makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Kalyx triaD makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Kalyx triaD makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Kalyx triaD makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Kalyx triaD makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Kalyx triaD makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Kalyx triaD makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Kalyx triaD makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Kalyx triaD makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Kalyx triaD makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Kalyx triaD makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
DC Comics Thread

Marvel Comics Thread

4yrs strong.
Old 09-16-2011, 02:12 PM   #1867
Lock Jaw
Loque Ja

As the original poster, can you not change the thread title?
Old 09-16-2011, 02:21 PM   #1868
Kalyx triaD
Raw Video Footage

Not after this long. You can change titles for a few days after you start a thread than it's locked. Only a mod can change them at any time, and TPWW mods are suspect.
Old 09-16-2011, 03:37 PM   #1869
Lock Jaw
Loque Ja

Finishing up my Week 2:

Batwoman #1

I've been waiting for this one to come out for ages. It was supposed to start sometime last year, but they pushed it back so they could start it now. This is another one with pretty much no reboot. Continues directly from Batwoman's story in Detective Comics, and to someone who hasn't read it, I can see it being confusing. I really liked her stories though, and so am excited to see more. Greg Rucka isn't writing it anymore though.

Still, seems like it may maintain the high quality of the Detective Comics run. Same artist, who I like a lot.

Also, good to see Cameron Chase and the D.E.O. The D.E.O. is like ten times more interesting to me than S.H.A.D.E. has ever been.

Demon Knights #1

I was doubtful of the idea of Etrigan The Demon having another series. Never been a fan of him as anything more than a supporting character in various stories. They seem to have changed him though. Seems like he almost has some sort of sense of humor now. Also, he does not rhyme all the time.

Joining him seems to be Madame Xanadu, whose personality also seems less "serious".

Series seems to follow their adventures after the fall of Camelot in "The Dark Ages".

There is a lot in this book, to bring me back to it.

The only thing that I really HATE and DETEST is their inclusion of the Grant Morrison version of The Shining Knight. WHO I HATE AND DETEST. The original Shining Knight was an Awesome character and totally did not need to be Grant Morrison-ized at all. Of course, Grant Morrison is not writing this series, so perhaps this new Shining Knight can win me over. It is an uphill battle though, seeing how much I loved the original. Perhaps the original will be on Earth-2.

Mister Terrific #1

I enjoyed it. Mister Terrific's personality seems to be a bit "looser", and the science and technology he works with has been souped up to the max. I kinda miss his jacket, but his new costume ain't bad.

Karen Starr (AKA Power Girl) is in this book as well. Unclear if she has powers or not in this new universe. No idea how they could justify her powers/origins in the New Universe, so she might not have any.
Old 09-16-2011, 03:43 PM   #1870
Lock Jaw
Loque Ja

Week 2 Rankings

1) Green Lantern (Feel like this shouldn't count though)
2) Resurrection Man
3) Demon Knights
4) Batwoman
5) Mister Terrific
6) Red Lanterns
7) Batman and Robin
8) Deathstroke
9) Frankenstein - Agent of S.H.A.D.E.
10) Superboy
11) Legion Lost
12) Suicide Squad
13) Grifter
Old 09-16-2011, 06:29 PM   #1871
Funky Fly
The Satanic Mechanic

Funky Fly makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Funky Fly makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Funky Fly makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Funky Fly makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Funky Fly makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Funky Fly makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Funky Fly makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Funky Fly makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Funky Fly makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Funky Fly makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Funky Fly makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Funky Fly makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Funky Fly makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalyx triaD View Post
Not after this long. You can change titles for a few days after you start a thread than it's locked. Only a mod can change them at any time, and TPWW mods are suspect.
This is gonna be the DC Kalyx likes penis thread if you keep that up.
Funky Fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 06:53 PM   #1872
Kalyx triaD
Raw Video Footage

Nah, I think I'll be saying what I want, sorry. And while you're here, care to queue up those new titles from #1866?
Old 09-16-2011, 06:54 PM   #1873
Kalyx triaD
Raw Video Footage

Please and thank you.
Old 09-16-2011, 07:19 PM   #1874
Funky Fly
The Satanic Mechanic

Funky Fly makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Funky Fly makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Funky Fly makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Funky Fly makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Funky Fly makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Funky Fly makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Funky Fly makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Funky Fly makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Funky Fly makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Funky Fly makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Funky Fly makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Funky Fly makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Funky Fly makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
You're welcome.
Funky Fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 07:25 PM   #1875
XL
Feeling Oof-y

XL makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)XL makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)XL makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)XL makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)XL makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)XL makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)XL makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)XL makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)XL makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)XL makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)XL makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)XL makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)XL makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
LOL
XL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 09:15 PM   #1876
Lock Jaw
Loque Ja

Not sure I feel comfortable posting in this thread anymore.
Old 09-16-2011, 09:40 PM   #1877
Kalyx triaD
Raw Video Footage

Way ahead of ya.
Old 09-18-2011, 11:26 AM   #1878
LuigiD

LOL at the new thread title..
Old 09-18-2011, 12:52 PM   #1879
Nowhere Man
Now. Here. Man.

Slightly back on topic (the DC Comics part, not the Kalyx Likes Penis part)......is anyone else starting to think the DCU has way too many shadowy organizations? I mean, you've got Cadmus, N.O.W.H.E.R.E., S.H.A.D.E., Amanda Waller and whoever's behind the Suicide Squad, that Briggs guy and the UN cabal running the JLI....just seems like they could really stand to trim it down to just one or two big ones. I mean, Marvel pretty much can trace everything back to SHIELD, and that's worked pretty well for them.
Old 09-18-2011, 01:48 PM   #1880
Lock Jaw
Loque Ja

Don't forget Stormwatch, which seems to be entirely based on the premise of a shadowy organization.

But yeah, even the pre-Flashpoint DC Universe seemed to have this problem.

They had the Department of Meta-Human Affairs (DMA), the Department of Extranormal Operations (DEO), S.H.A.D.E., and Checkmate.... who all pretty much did the same thing. Well, Checkmate did it on an international level, so it can be excused.

The other three seemed redundant, though. C'mon American government, how many organizations do you need that do the same thing?