View Single Post
Old 06-10-2017, 07:52 PM   #60
Mr. Nerfect

Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
I think that's a fair sentiment. I don't exactly agree with it, but I do understand where you are coming from too. Bill Watts is a good example of not keeping up, but I also think that Cornette did a better job than what you are implying.

He gave The Thrillseekers their US start. Those guys were pretty "trendy" at the time. Those fucking videos with them on horseback though...

In ROH he was a big proponent of the Seth Rollins/Davey Richards matches. He's been big on getting more of an MMA influence into wrestling. He calls the UFC "the best wrestling company in the world today." When he tears apart The Young Bucks and Joey Ryan, he's tearing apart stuff that is more a devolution than an evolution. He's tearing down a parody of wrestling that tries to highlight how fake and fun and happy it all is, because it's counterproductive to the elements that will sell out arenas. I think it's a very fair and logical point. If you do 11 superkicks a match, how is anybody going to buy it as a finish? It makes you look dumb because you can't kick hard, and it makes anyone who does go down to a superkick look like they've got a glass jaw. You might pop a few drunk dudes who like the sound of someone slapping their leg and already have a built-in appreciation of the superkick as a special move, but how is that going to draw in new fans? You're throwing away your tools and pissing your pants at the same time. And it's, frankly, selfish behaviour to do that just before someone goes out there and tries to win a match with their Superkick, because you've just pissed all over their move.

It's weird, because all the indy geeks claim that wrestling is "art" and needs to evolve, yet all this shit would be like going to a film and then there are eight explosions in the first five minutes. It's white noise and messy and people get bored easily, unless you are already a mark for excess, because you think quantity > quality. The Young Bucks are the "Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen" of pro-wrestling, except they aren't drawing money.
Mr. Nerfect is offline   Reply With Quote