View Single Post
Old 12-30-2013, 07:06 PM   #49
Mr. Nerfect

Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
I don't hate Triple H, but I wouldn't say he's one of my favorite performers. If he was a movie star, he'd be like Bruce Willis -- technically good at what he does and really successful at it, but I don't really want to see another Die Hard. I do get excited about the idea of Triple H interacting in fresh scenarios. Triple H vs. Daniel Bryan, for example, is a match that I'd actually want to see.

I got a bit sour on him during his "I dominate RAW" run with the World Heavyweight Title. Just because it was boring. I understand why they did it -- a lot of top stars had left/were leaving and they had just created this new championship and probably wanted to give it a fair bit of stability. Plus, WrestleMania XIX was their first Mania with the brand split in place. They were doing the title change in the "true main event" between Brock Lesnar and Kurt Angle, so they probably got a bit suspicious that two World Title changes would be a bit much. For balance they probably chose to put Hunter over Booker because Booker winning would have been less of a "capper" to the evening. But it really made Booker look bad. That Pedigree that put Booker down for like twenty seconds before a cover was even made, leading to people expecting the kick-out only for Booker to just lie their like a rag-doll? That was a bit much.

On a personal level, I have never forgotten that moment where Triple H Pedigree'd both Paul London & Brian Kendrick as they just stood around like goofs waiting for it, and for no good character reason. I got all excited about the possibility that we'd get Edge, Lance Cade & Trevor Murdoch (or whoever the heels were at the time) vs. Triple H, Paul London & Brian Kendrick. I thought that the younger guys would get such a rub from being in there with the older guys. Then any face momentum they had was squished. It's not like Triple H had a problem working with Brian Kendrick, though -- he made both Kendrick and Ezekiel Jackson look great during his SmackDown stint.

There just seem to be a lot of "misjudgments" when it comes to Triple H and his creative direction. Triple H has wrestled The Undertaker at WrestleMania more times than either Kane or Shawn Michaels, for example. They also seemed to try and make The Summer of Punk angle about Triple H too, where a heel turn for The Game would have been absolutely perfect. We got it with Daniel Bryan eventually, but that's two years of face H later.

That being said, I think he really gets the business and is a big reason NXT is so fucking awesome. The more Triple H takes himself out of things, though, the better the product he is influencing will get. His promo to open up NXT 200 was probably the promo I most enjoyed out of Triple H recently, probably partially because he was hyping up everything around him.
Mr. Nerfect is offline   Reply With Quote