View Single Post
Old 07-01-2010, 06:43 AM   #103
El Capitano Gatisto
World Class Raconteur

El Capitano Gatisto makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)El Capitano Gatisto makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)El Capitano Gatisto makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)El Capitano Gatisto makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)El Capitano Gatisto makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)El Capitano Gatisto makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)El Capitano Gatisto makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)El Capitano Gatisto makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)El Capitano Gatisto makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)El Capitano Gatisto makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)El Capitano Gatisto makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)El Capitano Gatisto makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)El Capitano Gatisto makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane Knight View Post
The Golden Compass/Northern Lights - 7/10. Not exactly epic, but I would definitely read again. It was fun and mostly well-paced, and despite the hype around the movie the Church is nowhere near the mustache twirling villains I expected/people claimed. Nearing the end, however, I couldn't help but feel it could be so much more. Maybe the rest of the series is, though. I've got other shit to read before I buy the next, however.
It becomes much more epic in scope. I read those books when I was a teenager as they came out, I've read them again since, and I think they're brilliant. They do go to town on the blasphemy, attacking the concept of God moreso than the church itself really.

Last book I read was Dance Dance Dance by Haruki Murakami, borrowed from someone who highly recommended it. I loved it. It's about an unnamed guy who dreams that a girl he loved is calling him, and he must go back to a seedy old hotel to find her, only the hotel has been replaced by a super big Western modern luxury hotel with the same name. The story then follows as he almost passively tries to figure out where this girl may have gone, encountering various characters along the way. Strange, funny book. I've since learned it's like a loose continuation of an earlier trilogy of books. I'm going to get some more Murakami books after this 9/10

Reading One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gael Garcia Marquez now. It's very strange indeed.
El Capitano Gatisto is offline   Reply With Quote