View Single Post
Old 10-30-2014, 04:25 AM   #267
Kalyx triaD
Raw Video Footage

Kalyx triaD makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Kalyx triaD makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Kalyx triaD makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Kalyx triaD makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Kalyx triaD makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Kalyx triaD makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Kalyx triaD makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Kalyx triaD makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Kalyx triaD makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Kalyx triaD makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Kalyx triaD makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Kalyx triaD makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Kalyx triaD makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Before I go point by point; I wanna clarify that those issues I posted were my personal beef with games journalism, rather than the goals of GamerGate (which was posted on the second page or so). You wrote a few times that where you agreed on a point that GG should turn their attention to it, and I would of course like that. There are places where GG and my own criticisms cross paths, I'll try to note these points. Just wanted to make sure these points were my own issues with the industry over the years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vastardikai View Post
Reason why I'm asking is because from what I've seen, going strictly off of what I've seen, most, if not all, of the people getting doxed have been either female developers or critics of GG.
If that's what you seen I can't fault you for that, nor do I expect you to filter through posts on Twitter or have the insight I had over the months. I can however offer to give you examples of people on the GG side being doxxed and harassed if you want. Early in the thread I was very link happy, but the following pages shows they went largely unnoticed or responded to. From this point on I'll simply offer to provide evidence of certain claims either here or in PMs. I'll need to know people have a genuine interest before I go mining links. Offers on the table. But if you're willing to take my word (for what it's worth to you), yes - people on GG side have been getting the same attacks at the same frequency. It's not what makes it on the headlines and our victims certainly don't get the interviews with MSNBC, but it's happened.

Quote:
It can go either way on Bayonetta. On one hand, she's a powerful character. On the other, couldn't she be a powerful character with a less revealing outfit? I'm not saying put her in a burqa, but it's kind of ridiculous looking.
The funny thing about Bayonetta is she's a character who is covered from the neck down 70% of the time. Her visual gimmick with her clothes receding only occurs during the end of combos and her finishing moves against bosses. Even then the camera sways away to her summoned beast tearing apart a boss. Here's the 'revealing outfit' you're talking about, that she's in most of the time. Consider that she's wearing more than Mirror's Edge's Faith.

Now her character and mannerisms are certainly sexual, but in true hack-n-slash fashion it's over the top as to be comical. She 'vogues' ffs. If that's still a point against her we then have to discuss her creator Kamiya, who's an excellent game designer (DMC1, Viewtiful Joe, Wonderful 101, Okami). Perhaps somebody else could have made Bayonetta and have her less hyper sexual, but then we wouldn't have the best hack-n-slash game ever (opinion mine). Or rather, would you want Kamiya to adjust his creative freedom? I'll choose his creative freedom and game design philosophy every time. Package deal, as it is with any entertainment medium.

Quote:
If anything, I'd say that's a bigger issue than who is fucking who or who is saying mean things about who. If that's the case, then I'd argue that GG has its priorities fucked up.
As I said my own issues don't line up 100% with GG. The group as a whole wants journalistic integrity; and yeah that means writers and subjects fucking will be called out. It's GG's priority as a movement, and I agree.

Quote:
Reasonable point. The thing is, that's not a problem plaguing just video game journalists. Journalists in general go with simplified observations and vague language on issues that actually matter.
Sure, but games journalism would naturally concern gamers, no?

I mean, how many other movements could we dismiss because their concerns are particular? "Throat cancer charity? Why not all cancer?" GG's not out to save journalism of every field.

This probably isn't your intention, but having run into this criticism before it's basically 'it's just games'. I mean, I don't get why people are actually making a case that gamers shouldn't care that much about games journalism. Have a go at demanding why sports fans care about sports controversies and politics.

Quote:
If anything, I'd say this is a matter of personal preference. It'd hard to do a review of "Let's Be Cops", for instance, without discussing the context of what was going on at the time the movie hit theaters. That's a mileage may vary kind of thing.
Agreed.

Quote:
Fair points here. I certainly have problems with these items. Angry Joe has also gone on about these issues in the past. The thing is, if this was brought up, instead of some of the stupid shit your cause does in fact go after, they would easily get more people on board with them.
Again, GG's main goals are not specifically my own.

Quote:
And again, these two issues aren't just issues with Video Game Journalists. Look at the White House Correspondence Club Dinner (or whatever the hell it's called) for a similar circle jerk between the media and the people they're supposed to be covering.
Also again, I don't know where this argument is going. A movement of gamers should cover every field of journalism because 'it's just games'?

But let's have fun with that image; GamerGate working to oust all manner of journalistic fuckery. Would the narrative then be a bunch of basement boys with delusions of grandeur throwing rocks at giants? It's an uphill battle as it is in the public eye getting talked down to by Polygon.

Quote:
Again, I can understand that. That would actually make for an interesting topic of conversation. It's not something I fully understand, but that would be a compelling story. Much more than someone posting concerns about how a cause is going, followed by the cause proving her right less than an hour later.
I forgot to reply your post above where you tied GG to doxxing and threatening behavior. GG doesn't condone this and actively vilifies and roots out the third party trolling everyone. We're not 'proving her right'.

Quote:
Comedy of the Year, however, would have been me trying to review it. It probably would have been along the lines of "See last year's review. Also, the Military should probably go through other means to find new recruits."
Funny thing is, this seems like the first time in a while last years review would not be swappable. I am so down for AW.

Quote:
This is one that I haven't seen in more mainstream outlets, but I can see that as being an issue. Something else specific that GG could get behind, if it didn't com off as bitching about "SJWs."
I explain in the first few pages about why the SJW/extreme feminist connections to this are important in the grand scheme of things. I can dip deeper into that if you wish. Interesting shit.

Quote:
I understand your sentiment, but let's be honest. The point of reviews, be it movie, music, or games, is ultimately to shill the product they are reviewing. Sometimes, the political agendas help shape that shilling.
I disagree, but non-aggressively. It's cool.

Quote:
On one hand, I like the idea. On the other, this could start boxing out smaller developers further as this could very easily become financially unfeasible.
Consider that smaller devs that self publish on the big three consoles are already mandated to provide trial/demos of their games. And historically, smaller teams are much more likely to offer demos and beta runs to their supporters and public game events. This is something I believe they're already primed for.

Quote:
But thank you on answering my questions. At least you are a bit more intellectually honest than many of the folks who attach themselves to your cause.
I dare not argue with this. And I thank you for simply not being Rogerer.

Quote:
However, when Ms. Sarkeesan starts throwing out frivolous lawsuit after frivolous lawsuit attacking games, then talk to me about how she's Jack Thompson.
The narrative's the same, she's just smarter about it. She totally Jackie Thompson.
Kalyx triaD is offline   Reply With Quote