View Single Post
Old 09-27-2017, 01:16 AM   #1
mitchables
bonjour

mitchables makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)mitchables makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)mitchables makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)mitchables makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)mitchables makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)mitchables makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)mitchables makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)mitchables makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)mitchables makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)mitchables makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)mitchables makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)mitchables makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)mitchables makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Star Trek: Discovery

First two episodes were really good. Honours the canon and shows that have come before it while imbuing itself with a much-needed contemporary vibe that better reflects the kinds of shows people want to watch now. Seems to succeed at being a modern prequel where Enterprise failed (for a few reasons).

The proximity to the original series is good too, since it allows for elements of it to bleed across, and I am on board with the Klingons being antagonists again, since that's not really been the case since TOS (at a stretch, The Undiscovered Country).

I have no problem with the way they're presented in this series, either; I know a few fans have got all high and mighty about the changes to their look and, to an extent, their behaviour, but I think it all flies just fine. Nothing wrong with making them look a little more alien than just "people with ridges".

Sucks that it's only available on CBS All Access in the States; we've got it on Netflix here, so hopefully international numbers on more accessible streaming services will help bolster its audience figures to ensure it gets a good run, because I imagine it'll struggle at home with convincing people to pick up another streaming service. It's a double-edged sword, though; if enough people get CBS' thing to make it a viable series for several seasons, it validates the idea of splintering streaming services, which nobody wants.

Anyway, I'm really enjoying it so far. Only two eps in and it's probably going to be the best Trek since DS9. BIG CALL but I dunno, I'm into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FakeRazor
Dear Mitch,

If you're holding this letter, you already know. The house has been boarded up. The windows, the doors, everything. We're at the Comfort Inn. Room 112.

I love you,
FakeRazor
mitchables is offline   Reply With Quote