View Single Post
Old 06-10-2017, 07:18 PM   #57
Mr. Nerfect

Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
It's a myth that Corny doesn't like new wrestling, by the way. I feel the need to state that, because it always seems to pop up, and seemingly smart people perpetuate it constantly. That's a line that a few indy darlings that have been called into the principal's office use as a straw-man to dismiss a guy who yells at them, which culturally isn't a form of education they feel is appropriate anymore.

I personally don't mind those sorts of mentors, because I find them very easy to deal with. If you're straight forward with them and say "Yeah, I fucked up, how can I not fuck up next time?" usually they are happy to tell you and then next time you know what they are looking for. Shit gets out of hand when you are stubborn yourself and don't take the responsibility for your perceived fuck-up. If you smirk, back-chat or just ignore the advice. Cornette has told the story about him blowing up at John Cena just once about going over time. Cena never went over time again.

Talking about opposite sides of the same coin, I think that is why Cornette and Owens didn't get along in ROH. Owens thought he was a genius, Cornette knows he is a genius, and they disagree -- but they can't both be right. There was also the shift from ROH from being a super indy with trashy wrestling, no logical flow, too many high spots, violence against women, etc. and a move towards a more palatable wrestling product -- with a building story throughout a show, etc. I can imagine a lot of talent felt their artistic license being inhibited by that.

In the recent past, Cornette has praised:

* The Briscoe Brothers - thinks they are the best team in wrestling

* The Revival - thinks they are the best thing in the WWE

* American Alpha - basically alluded to Chad Gable being a prodigy; but thinks they can improve (that's worth listening to)

* John Cena - thinks he is the ultimate professional

* The Hardys - hasn't watched it, but thinks they are talented and applauded Matt for reinventing himself (something I don't agree with)

* Kevin Owens - thinks he is good in the ring and can cut a helluva promo

* Sami Zayn - great in the ring, tremendous seller and strong for his frame

* Cesaro - was disappointed the WWE broke up The Kings of Wrestling but is glad to see him get a shot

* Seth Rollins - thinks he is one of the hardest working people in the business

* Davey Richards - thought that his matches with Seth Rollins could be the modern equivalent to Flair/Steamboat (how's that for praise?)

* Jay Lethal - thinks he is such a tremendous talent who can work, promo, and takes his craft seriously

* Tyler Bate - thinks he is very good in the ring, and just thinks it's a shame he looks so young, but that he will grow into himself

* Pete Dunne - loves him as a heel and thinks that as he gets older he will wear it more and more

* Dolph Ziggler - describes him as "the perfect professional wrestler" (something I'm not entirely sure I agree with)

* Christopher Daniels - thinks he is a tremendous talent that has never had the proper shot he deserves

* Samoa Joe - his WrestleMania main event is Brock Lesnar vs. Samoa Joe, which is something I've heard echoed by so many people in response to Brock vs. Joe being announced

* The Young Bucks - as human beings, he says they are "nice kids"

His big gripes are with Kenny Omega's performative development, The Young Bucks using no psychology, Joey Ryan for doing shit with his dick for attention, Vince Russo for being a hack, Sami Zayn for being a pain to deal with in ROH (which is now his WWE gimmick, so maybe there was something to that?), Kevin Owens being a perceived prick in ROH, and Kenny King being a slimeball and lying to his employers.

Because some of those names are held in such high regard by smarks, it becomes the accepted canon. "Cornette is an old man yelling at clouds." I honestly think he is too smart for most wrestlers and wrestling fans, haha, so it's easier to just dismiss him than make a point that actually responds to his. Kenny King recently retorted with homophobic slurs to Corny; Joey Ryan has called Corny a homophobe (coming from the beacon of virtue who gets women to touch his dick and flip around). The Young Bucks are constantly evading the points Cornette makes and just say stuff like "He doesn't yell at us in person," and "Wrestling needs to evolve, brah!". Kenny Omega has just said "That's hilarious. Yeah, I heard he went off on me. That's really funny. Here's a straw-man point to attempt to lower his character, and I think he just wants a rub from The Bucks. He's probably working."

I dunno, it's like the people Jim criticizes can't cognitively comprehend what Cornette actually says. I know most of them aren't probably the sort of people used to constructing arguments and retorting in effective and affluent ways, so it probably does come out as a bit childish when put on the spot, but I just find it funny that people are like "Yeah, good point! Cornette is old!"

Anyone into wrestling could really learn a lot from hearing him talk about the modern product. I keep admitting that I am a mark for him, but I am also someone who changes my mind when faced with evidence (I like to think so anyway). Cornette won me over. I've learnt stuff that I didn't like about the current product from him that I didn't even consciously realize. It's not that I'm impressionable, but it's because he knows so much about what he is talking about, he can identify the stuff most people pick up subconsciously.

I recommended the American Alpha vs. Revival break-down above. Hearing Cornette fly into an analysis of the match was like a physicist at a whiteboard. He broke things down to a quantum level, things that most fans wouldn't even notice, but go towards making the great stuff perfect. It's worth listening to. But he also pointed out stuff with Braun Strowman I hadn't noticed -- how they are actually building him up wrong, despite basically everyone else wetting themselves over his booking.

You're missing out if you just rule everything he says out as archaic.
Mr. Nerfect is offline   Reply With Quote