View Single Post
Old 06-10-2017, 06:27 PM   #49
Mr. Nerfect

Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maluco View Post
When I say they are two sides of the same coin, I mean they are both stubborn, arrogant and too set in their ways to adapt to the times and learn from other people.

I know Corbett's fans like what he says about wrestler and it appeals to old school fans, but he is completely lost to what modern day fans want to see and that has been proven. He has failed much more than he has succeeded, same with Russo.

And they both fail for the same reason, they are far more similar than they think. They are both too old to learn new tricks now anyway though.

As entertaining as Cornette is as a personality, his views in wrestling are dated and he is too stubborn, arrogant and ill tempered to be of any use in 2017.

Although, like fan said above and Corgan has said previously, I don't think anyone has a formula for 2017 and right now, everyone is failing in at least some way.
Man, I don't think Cornette's views are that dated. I know the ROH stuff didn't go well, but NXT is basically a glossy version of SMW and what Cornette had envisioned for ROH. I think it was the wrong promotion to do it with, and because indy wrestling hadn't really penetrated the WWE as much, I don't think smarks on the scene were ready for the change. I honestly think that Corny was actually ahead of his time with that one, as weird as that is to say.

Look at ROH today (and I know it's not the best it's ever been). Dalton Castle, Bully Ray, Silas Young -- there are a few more "old-school" and "rasslin'" influences in there now. I concede that the product isn't "white-hot" anymore, but the WWE have essentially neutured any impact ROH can potentially make by being a super indy, because they have adapted so much of the talent and style that it is no longer alternative.

I wouldn't call OVW and SMW "failures." SMW was one of the last viable territories. I'd actually give the nod to ECW being the last one, but SMW is undervalued for what it gave to pro-wrestling. OVW is still the only successful developmental league the WWE has ever had. NXT is a finishing school. I don't even know if I'd consider his TNA run a "failure." Like with Dutch, I'd consider it a pretty good run, albeit marred by Russorifics by the end.

His run as a performer has certainly not been a failure. I know I'm a bit of a Cornette mark, but if you use the measure of success that "they're not running a company or aren't in the WWE" to determine whether or not someone is a failure then I think you're looking at pretty much everybody as a failure.

Stubborn? Sure, but I sort of admire that. He sticks to his philosophies of logic and straight-forward angles and storytelling. He's a wrestling prescriptivist -- there are rules for a reason; they work, so don't fuck with them. And there are good rules that are broken way too much these days. Some other minds might be more of a wrestling descriptivist -- cultural changes mean that wrestling needs to change, and you can break rules once you know what they are.

Truth be told, I don't even think Corny is against breaking rules, he just gets mad that no one knows what they are anymore.
Mr. Nerfect is offline   Reply With Quote