View Single Post
Old 01-31-2018, 06:36 PM   #57
Mr. Nerfect

Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dastardly Dale Newstead View Post
But if you can prove that women don't draw and sell merch like men, than why would you pay them the same?

Morality and progressiveness has nothing to do with Destor's argument, it just comes down to brass tax.

However, out of all athletic endeavours, you could argue women can eventually make the same as men, since it's a scripted sport largely based on charisma. Whereas barriers face women in other sports because frankly, the quality of play can't physically/biologically ever match mens.

If what the lads are saying about the women being ratings draws is true, then we could start seeing the pay gap decrease in the industry.
Generally agree, but I think the idea that women physically can't do it is antiquated. Been reading a lot of myths about women's sports. It can make a fun afternoon. Turns out women aren't actually physically shit, athletically, and it's a bit of thing that men have tried to make their domain just because grrr, men.

Don't get me wrong though, I don't think the current crop of female talent is better than the men. The best workers they have, in my opinion, are Brock, AJ, Joe, Cena and Orton, but all of them have been doing it since the 20th century. But I'd also probably contend that the cream of the All Japan women in the 90's were better in-ring than most of the men on the roster are today. As you said, it's charisma-based, but the athletic part is something that the women can get down fine to have matches with ever women. You can get plenty of ***** matches and drawing fights out of them. That's just not happening right now.

Don't even really want to argue, just want to throw out the men > women at sports is kind of being challenged these days. It's quite possibly an idea we have that shapes how we perceive the intersection of sports and gender, as opposed to a true dynamic that we're responding to. But whatever, I've only done light reading. Largely I agree with the point of star-power in this business largely being charisma-fueled, and that being the most important aspect. And that's why Ronda got more over than basically anyone in UFC, until Conor came along.
Mr. Nerfect is offline   Reply With Quote