View Single Post
Old 06-13-2017, 11:29 PM   #34398
Fignuts
Hey Mister!

Fignuts makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Fignuts makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Fignuts makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Fignuts makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Fignuts makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Fignuts makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Fignuts makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Fignuts makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Fignuts makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Fignuts makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Fignuts makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Fignuts makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Fignuts makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noid View Post
I actually don't like the Starship Pain, but acrobatics like that in wrestling don't annoy me as much, because I can buy that an arrogant heel would do something like that to embarrass his opponent. It's just like The Rock's theatrics before the People's Elbow. For a babyface, moves like that do look cool, and they become something of a stamp for that wrestler. You could always logically just come off with an elbow and monitor your opponent's position a bit more, but if you've assumed that you've put them in a position where you've gotten them relatively discombobulated, it makes sense to finish them off with emphasis so that you can increase your fanbase/make a statement.

It can still be silly. If you've got your opponent beaten, you should go for the win, sure. But what I can't stand is the obvious co-operation stuff. The "I will run into position for this because I want you to hit me" stuff. This falls into that category for me. What it implies is that every wrestler that gets hit with the Rainmaker wants to be hit with it. Otherwise they would have surely flopped to the ground too, since Okada doesn't actually pull you into the move. Surely you can understand my gripe with that?
All power moves fall into that category, as you can visisbly see the victim cooperating to be more easily lifted. Any irish whip move requires the victim to cooperate because logically you don't have to run in a straight line, or you could just, ya know, stop running.

I don't look at how believeable stuff is, because to me at least, its not about that. If I wanted to see something believable, I'd watch matches from the 20s where they put each other in front facelocks for 8 hours. To me its about the overall story they tell in the match. (and this is what I tell non wrestling fans when they ask me why I watch it knowing its fake) Its about people telling a story, using just body language, facial expressions, and feats of athleticism. Individual moves and spots don't have to be believable, as long as I'm enjoying the story. I'm not going to get out my microscope and dissect a spot that logically doesnt make sense, when it followed a dozen other things including common manuevers that make just as little sense when thought about.
Fignuts is offline   Reply With Quote