View Single Post
Old 10-07-2023, 10:45 AM   #1432
Destor
I am the cheese

Destor makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Destor makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Destor makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Destor makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Destor makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Destor makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Destor makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Destor makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Destor makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Destor makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Destor makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Destor makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Destor makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
I dont believe memberberries are any acknowledgement of nostalgia. Anikan was not merriberries. It was just organic story telling. Memberberries is specially a *vapid* callback. It has no value intrinsic value outside of making you go "oh thats the thing from the thing!" Anikan couldve been memberberries but for her to seek out his force ghost subconsciously, or he sought her out who's to say i guess (or even perhaps he was a memory manifest by the force hence him not being blue) it would have been less authentic to the story to not explore that.

Now you can say "well the situation was contrived" and maybe. In fact it most likely was but regardless they knew it was interesting avenue to explore and they found a way to explore it that wasnt shoehorned. They earned those sequences. Maybe execution could have been better. Whatever. It wasnt arbitrary or some deus ex machina.

3PO (and by proxy the Lea name drop in of itself) are obviously memberberries. There are others that didnt add to anything outside of a lazy cheap pop based of, frankly, much better stories in the mythos. Those moments are embarrassingly bad. And thats across all of the disney era. Its something thats holding them back and theyd do well to get away from.

The Obi-Wan series was memberberries in its entirety for example. It added nothing to anything, in fact retroactively hurt numerous things. Gratuitous fan service. Couple of really dope visual moments but ultimately it would have been better to have not existed.

Ahsoka did try to move the clone wars/rebels plotlines forward. Not saying it was done in a way that left me begging for more but there was an effort to do more than just play on nostalgia. Perhaps thats because there really hasnt been enough time for any nostalgia to actually exist...but thats getting into semantics. At its core the goal of the series was to spin new tales not cling on old ones.

In any case i think one of the best things south park ever did was create the memberberries because it gave a clear voice for people to call out this hackneyed schlock that these focus group driven souless corporations keep trying to pass off as worthy successors to legitimate artistic efforts of the past. Memberberries should be throw away cameos. Perfectly fine place for such things. Blink and you missed it easter eggs and whatnot. Instead theyre major plot points or are even the entire premise.

Last edited by Destor; 10-07-2023 at 10:50 AM.
Destor is offline   Reply With Quote