View Single Post
Old 03-30-2023, 12:10 AM   #13
Destor
I am the cheese

Destor makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Destor makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Destor makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Destor makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Destor makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Destor makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Destor makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Destor makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Destor makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Destor makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Destor makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Destor makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Destor makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Artists are going art. There's certainly good work occurring inside the studio system and people working over the regulations theyre forced to comply to. The claim certainly isnt "nothing good can out for the entire decade." 12 Angry Men is one of my favorite films of all time for example. Dr. Strangelove came out of this era.

What im driving at is we arent actually seeing the artistic vision of the era. We are seeing creatives trapped in a box and pushing at the corners trying to let light in. When we do get a subversive picture its subversive out of pragmatism. And there's a daring to the pictures that manage it. But it isnt free. It isnt the film they would have made had they been freed to make the film they wanted.

If we look away from the classics of the era and toward the commercial schlock of the peroid though thats where you really see the damage. The bulk of the releases are closer to propaganda than art.

If we're judging the peroids based soley on the top tier films id say the 70s were better than the 90s for example. But if we take a step back and take in the full picture in the 90s you can pick a movie at random on any given day and have a better shot and seeing something enjoyable.

In the 50s? Or now? I wish you the best of luck surviving to the credits.
Destor is offline   Reply With Quote