View Single Post
Old 11-01-2014, 01:14 PM   #361
Inadequacy
I'm nauseous

Inadequacy is good (20,000+)Inadequacy is good (20,000+)Inadequacy is good (20,000+)Inadequacy is good (20,000+)Inadequacy is good (20,000+)Inadequacy is good (20,000+)Inadequacy is good (20,000+)Inadequacy is good (20,000+)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalyx triaD View Post
That is not my stance, I'm sorry if it seemed that way. I don't think people should like it, but stopping the world over it is overblown. There are degrees.

I understand how doxxing is very threatening, but consider the difference between Quinn being doxxed and Nero having a syringe sent to his house. One person used the issue to spread her name around and ignored proper channels to deal with that, the other person took it seriously and refused to publicize it.

One side is making this a game, and it's the side who law enforcement deemed safe. Brianna Wu left her home of her own volition.

Contact the FBI, do not publicize it, and definitely don't use it as a reason to spread political agendas.
Kalyx I've had to read countless articles about women being threatened on the internet and exactly how ineffective/uncaring the authorities can be about it. I live in a province where a young girls suicide due to online bullying/harassment led to the formation of a new police unit specifically for dealing with online harassment. A unit which did basically nothing when a local woman tried to report the harassment she was receiving from her ex-boyfriend. They wouldn't even do anything when she knew who the person was, can you imagine the authorities doing very much when the harassers are anonymous?

I guess my point is it's incredibly stupid to say there is a "proper" way to deal with these things and maybe just a little bit ridiculous to suggest that way is going through the police. Maybe publicizing these things and getting the support of the general public to shame the people who would do these IS a reasonable thing to do.

Here's the article from my local alt-weekly, there are hundreds more just like it from other cities.

http://www.thecoast.ca/halifax/the-a...nt?oid=4425956
Inadequacy is offline   Reply With Quote