View Single Post
Old 06-11-2017, 12:56 AM   #82
Mr. Nerfect

Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Just on the point about Brock needing a manager somehow being a bad thing: I don't actually remember a Heyman promo from that point in time. Honestly. I remember him selling from the outside and yelling stuff out, and I do remember "The Next Big Thing" branding. What I do remember is stuff like Brock destroying Rikishi, The Hardyz, Hogan and The Rock.

I know this is a subjective poll and all that, but I don't think Destor so much disagrees with your pick as your reasoning, Ruein. I think what you're saying is that people are arguing from the position of "Brock is such a huge star," but that he wouldn't have been there without Heyman because he lacked mic skills, whereas even without mic skills, Rey Mysterio was a huge star? Like, I think I get what you mean. You're sort of saying that Brock had shortcuts and that people aren't considering those shortcuts when voting for him, and sort of using a "Brock is God" form of circular reasoning?

I still think you have to consider a hypothetical Brock in that scenario. You have to consider a Brock who didn't do the things he did in wrestling. You're sort of disqualifying Brock on his own merits then. I do think it is a weird way to think about things.

Rey didn't have mic skills either, as Destor pointed out. But are you saying that he is different because he got over without mic skills, whereas you don't think Brock hypothetically would, even though he did, because they found a way to supplement that? Hypothetically: Rey would be disqualified if small guys never won matches in the WWE (hold your jokes), but they used a big guy to be his tag team partner to introduce him and get him over, so he could then start beating people? Because if he didn't have that crutch, he never would have made it?

But isn't all booking then sort of a crutch? If Austin wasn't booked to win the WWF Title from Shawn Michaels in 1998, then maybe he would have lost steam and wouldn't have made it on his own merits? A better example: If Shawn Michaels had never gotten a look because of his size, unless he was paired with Marty Jannetty, do you need to credit Marty Jannetty with all Shawn Michaels' success?

I'm genuinely not trying to be ass, I'm just fascinated by how you've gotten to where you are, haha.
Mr. Nerfect is offline   Reply With Quote