View Single Post
Old 06-10-2017, 07:33 PM   #59
Maluco
Reigning Tipsters Champ!

Maluco got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Maluco got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Maluco got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Maluco got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Maluco got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Maluco got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Maluco got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Maluco got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Maluco got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Maluco got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Maluco got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Maluco got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)
I get what you both are saying, and I do concede that he has probably forgotten more about wrestling than most people learn in their lives. I also concede that wrestling, at its core, is the same.

I still think there is room, however, for both those things to be true and for Cornette to still be abrasive, to still be arrogant and to be resistant to learning what HAS changed in wrestling.

Bill Watts is a brilliant example here. In his day, a top performer and promotor, but as the mid nineties roll around, enough has changed to make him out of touch in the new WCW, his tenure there being a disaster because he was too stubborn and stuck in his ways.

He might have known how to build a match, how to create a star, how to manipulate a crowd, and how to sell tickets in the eighties, but things do change and by the mid-ninties, enough has changed that wrestling had passed Bill Watts by.

I am not saying Cornette is exactly the same, because like you say, his breakdown of psychology and how to work a crowd is extremely informative and he could be very helpful in that light. But wrestling promotions in 2017 would fail in the hands of Jim Cornette, because he already feels like he knows it all and refuses to compromise.

While that admirable in some ways, like you say, it can ultimately be your undoing, as it was for Watts

Last edited by Maluco; 06-10-2017 at 09:01 PM.
Maluco is offline   Reply With Quote