View Single Post
Old 05-02-2018, 09:43 AM   #8
Mr. Nerfect

Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollermacka View Post
So just out of curiosity, why don't you guys watch it?
I'm not an avid viewer of WWE these days. Raw and SmackDown fatigue and bother me, because so many guys work the same. And then someone who doesn't isn't very good, and people cream their pants, and I feel like it's just not my jam anymore.

I like the more serious competition stuff. I used to watch NXT regularly. That began to fall into familiar cycles too. Guys would come in, get the "Holy shit!" chant or whatever because, guess what, Triple H signed them, and then they win the NXT Title. "You deserve it." Then they get called up and suck.

The old 205 Live stuff was goofy and make everyone a joke to me. Well, except for Neville (who was awesome) and Jack Gallagher (who I got a kick out of). But there's just not meaty reason for me to invest.

Oh, and I cancelled my Network subscription after Jinder won the WWE Title, because if they openly tell me their product doesn't matter, why should I pay them money for it? So it's not as simple as me signing into the Network to see stuff. They have to win me back as a consumer, and they don't appear to be anywhere close.

I know that all sounds very cynical, but that is my response as a guy who has been obsessed with wrestling for the majority of my life. Discovering older wrestling, realizing how well it worked, and appreciating that you can have logic, sensible progression and stories that matter in wrestling didn't help. And also discovering that Vince's carny family circus mentality towards sports entertainment was hated by a lot of people, and that now he has the monopoly? My ironic fandom and basically sitting down and watching shit that makes fun of itself because it is too self-conscious to even consider trying to make an audience invest any genuine emotion or that there is a point to it, is dead. That was a privilege I had when I was more optimistic and just respected anyone who got into a ring, because hey, that's more effort than I've put in. But bad artistry can ruin industries. I've seen it happen in local music and comedy scenes here. There's no consistent wrestling.

Sorry to spiral there -- I've had a few scotches (no work tomorrow). Basically, I really wish that a bad-ass billionaire with a taste for old rasslin' would invest a bunch of money for a no bullshit approach to a promotion. Or for The Rock to start up one, because he loves it, and he knows that there needs to be an alternative to make things matter again. I don't know. I'm waiting for something to right hook WWE, because they fucking suck. Their main event after the SmackDown guys are fucking cruiserweights who wrestle just like the SmackDown guys, but they're smaller. Someone destroy them. That's ultimately my point.
Mr. Nerfect is offline   Reply With Quote