View Single Post
Old 01-03-2018, 08:09 PM   #144
Sixx
LUV CABBAGE/H8 JEWS

Sixx makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Sixx makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Sixx makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Sixx makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Sixx makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Sixx makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Sixx makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Sixx makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Sixx makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Sixx makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Sixx makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Sixx makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Sixx makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noid View Post
B) For whatever reason I had lowered those two PPVs in my head to 800,000 buys or so, but those are the later ones. My bad.

I do recognize your point with Benoit's "midcard" stint, but I think Benoit played a much more featured role than you're acknowledging. And this is where our big difference in opinion comes in. Because while I do agree that it's basically down the headliners (at least, it used to be -- Triple H and Roman Reigns didn't fill up WrestleMania 32), I really do believe that Benoit meant a lot more in his "wrestling" position than most other guys ever have.

Go back to WrestleMania X-7. Sure, Austin and Rock are selling that, but you also had Vince/Shane which got ample story time, and even Taker/HHH that had no real build, but felt like a "big" match. I do think you then need to give supplementary credit to the TLC, Benoit/Angle and even Chyna/Ivory as a pay-off. I'd then put the Hardcore Title up there (for its Kane and Big Show/"fun" environment involvement) and Jericho/Regal being a nice little program. Eddie/Test and the RTC stuff probably wasn't anywhere near as meaningful, nor was the Gimmick Battle Royal. So I don't think you give Repo Man or Steven Richards as much credit there. But Benoit helped support that show and make it more than just a "one match card." The midcard really helped carry shit at times, especially when it was someone like Benoit.

I'd give Batista the same credit for his Evolution stuff against Rock and Fole at Mania XX. And his stuff with Undertaker at 23, and even Umaga at 24. It's more than just "we need a match," it's "we need to feature this guy." I wouldn't call it a "drawing" argument, so much as it is a featured performer who matters most in that sort of role kind of argument. I think a super-card with Austin vs. Rock and Chris Benoit vs. Chris Jericho has a good shot at drawing more than Batista vs. Chris Jericho in that undercard position. Benoit's worth as a "great wrestler" is severely underrated as to how it translates to casual audiences, in my opinion.
I'm usually not the one to appreciate a good technician but watching Benoit wrestle was great.
Sixx is offline   Reply With Quote