View Single Post
Old 01-05-2018, 07:02 PM   #46
Mr. Nerfect

Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fignuts View Post
Also, in response to comment you made in the other thread, no, Naito doesn't need the title to be over. But neither does Okada. Nor does anyone else who's won the title in the last 10 years. Because unlike in WWE the man makes the title, and getting over on your own is a prerequisite to even being considered for the iwgp title.

What it comes down to is that myself and hasney value the story of Naito's journey here, how much he deserves it, and how good of a champion he would be, over making an already special title reign a little bit more special.

But the fact that neither myself or hasney are broken up about it and still looking forward to future okada defenses is telling of the quality of njpw's product.
Nah, there's more to gain with the Okada win. It reaffirms that he's the guy. If Naito beat him then they'd be 1-1 at Wrestle Kingdom. This tells the story that Okada is always one step ahead of him. It keeps him on his toes. They're Austin and Rock. Or Goku and Vegeta. Okada is the man. That's the story they're trying to tell. You tell that by putting Okada over.

I always thought it was likely Okada would be retaining, but everyone was saying "Naito, Naito, Naito." But I'm telling you -- it makes perfect sense.
Mr. Nerfect is offline   Reply With Quote