View Single Post
Old 01-19-2018, 04:42 PM   #30
Mr. Nerfect

Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dastardly Dale Newstead View Post
Great match but I prefer their mania blinder @Noid.
Me too. One of my favorite matches from an era I didn't watch at the time. Also one of the best openers of all-time. I even appreciated it when I didn't "get" Bret as much (15-year-old boy syndrome, I guess). Just pointing out the Cage Match because I remember feeling it was a bit "boring" when I first watched it in my early teens, and I've heard lots about it being overrated over the years. The psychology of both trying to win the match is tremendous. The way they layer their high spots to tell a story too. Owen introduces the biting in a great visual, and then uses it again (which Vince misses on the call). Owen slams Bret off by the hair, but then Bret gets him back later -- turnabout's fair play. Both end up getting crotched at different times. The Sharpshooter countered into the Sharpshooter is always cool. And the way they really "go for it" with the escapes. As I'm getting sick of guys doing "too much" and forgetting how to tell simple stories, that level of nuance just plays like a beautiful hymn to my current tastes. I do prefer WrestleMania, to be honest, and feel that is more "accessible" than the Cage Match, but it shows the different gears they both had.

Haha, I went on holiday with my family as I was just getting into wrestling, and I got sick, so my mom let me rent out some movies from the video store. I went to the wrestling section and the two I happened to pick up were Royal Rumble 1992 and WrestleMania X. I was spoiled that day.
Mr. Nerfect is offline   Reply With Quote