View Single Post
Old 10-11-2017, 06:22 PM   #41
Simple Fan
Let me talk to ya

Simple Fan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Simple Fan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Simple Fan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Simple Fan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Simple Fan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Simple Fan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Simple Fan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Simple Fan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Simple Fan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Simple Fan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Simple Fan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Simple Fan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Simple Fan makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noid View Post

But let's say the gimmick was good. I'm not willing to concede that, but let's put it on a subjective spectrum: How much of that do you think was environmental? How much of the hand-held camera, aerial drone shot, poorly acted stuff gained "charm" or whatever from being a) pieced together by a company that was trying really hard to be good and falling short; and b) being in a small-time promotion. Don't you think there would need to be innate philosophical differences between a TNA produced one and a WWE produced one?

TNA and Matt Hardy were being overly ambitious with the gimmick. They had nothing better to fill time with. They had no eyeballs so it was logical to experiment. You're going in one direction. Plus, Matt Hardy and Jeremy Borash, or whoever the fuck, only have a certain level of production skill, so when they try really hard to put things together, it could theoretically attain that "camp" effect, in that they were trying really sincerely to do this thing, and if there were any charm there, it has to surely come from that.

For WWE, it wouldn't be technically ambitious -- it would be sacrificing many of the tools at their disposal. There is plenty of stuff they could put on instead of it. There are eyeballs watching their product (lol, not many though), so there is more risk involved. They've this world-class production team. It wouldn't make sense for them to air shitty camera footage on their show like that.

Aesthetically and philosophically, I would think that fans of the TNA gimmick would want WWE to leave it the fuck alone.
I've said many times I don't want to see it in WWE. Hell WWE did try to do it with the Wyatt Compound segment and failed. I didn't want to see the same story they told originally either and if they did use it would want it to be a bit different.

It was great as it was pretty much Hardy just fucking around for laughs then TNA got desperate and gave him the whole show. Yeah it was campy but was also telling a story which is somthing that is lscking in pro wrestling today. It got over on the internet and unfortunately in today's world sometimes that's all it takes.
Simple Fan is offline   Reply With Quote