View Single Post
Old 09-17-2023, 07:25 PM   #61
mitchables
bonjour

mitchables makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)mitchables makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)mitchables makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)mitchables makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)mitchables makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)mitchables makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)mitchables makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)mitchables makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)mitchables makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)mitchables makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)mitchables makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)mitchables makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)mitchables makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lock Jaw View Post
That's the biggest problem with him. I guess I didn't see any of his initial run really... just from his match with Steve Austin onward.... I hear tell that he was "less serious" back then... which would be great.

The big problem is they try to present him as "serious" and "legit", but then he had a never-ending US Title reign where I don't think he actually "earned" any victories, but just cheated or squeaked out a win or whatever.

Which is all fine and good if you play that up, but instead everyone, including the commentators, kept trying to push how legit he was... and rather than being like a smarmy coward type even Theory tries to present himself as bigtime legit....

And it just doesn't work because there is a huge disconnect in what we actually see from his character.
precisely this--compare with someone like dom mysterio, for example, who very much *is* leaning into the dirty-win, smarmy coward archetype (who nonetheless throws himself in harm's way to protect his stablemates, which is a cool little element of his character)

dom just seems like a far more believable/entertaining heel. the crowd not letting him talk is hilarious. still has a bit of work to do in-ring but i think everyone sees the potential there. he has real heat and has made himself enjoyably unlikeable

theory has dom's passive aura but tries to carry himself, presumably at the company's behest, like game-era triple h. it's just a total disconnect, absolutely
mitchables is offline   Reply With Quote