View Single Post
Old 09-04-2017, 03:37 AM   #96
Mr. Nerfect

Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Quote:
Originally Posted by #1-wwf-fan View Post
Once he got drafted to Raw he started losing pretty consistently on television. Was he protected better than most? For that first couple years at least, yeah. But your top guy SHOULD be winning more than most. That's what justifies him being a top guy. He was still being made to look vulnerable by taking losses every month on Raw to build to PPV. That works for an underdog character (though underdog characters generally don't have a long shelf-life as a top face). It doesn't work for a guy like Cena or Rock or Reigns.
You're not wrong on that philosophy, but the Super Cena push was part of the reason that a lot of people rejected him, and a large part of why ratings went down. It's hard to imagine this retrospectively, but I just don't think he was the guy when he was pushed as such. It didn't really work. He had the right attitude, and he's certainly developed into the wrestler and occasional money promo now -- but he for a long period of time he was ineffective in the role. If he were effective in it, I think we'd have prospered under Cena a lot more than we have.

But that's not Cena's fault. There are very few guys who can turn it on and be at that level. After consistently being pushed for about 8 years, I think Cena started to get it. Plus, there was that cathartic release with Brock Lesnar kicking his ass. I think that took out of a lot of the frustrations people had.
Mr. Nerfect is offline   Reply With Quote