View Single Post
Old 10-15-2017, 12:38 PM   #2801
Ultra Mantis
Grim Fandango

Ultra Mantis makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Ultra Mantis makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Ultra Mantis makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Ultra Mantis makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Ultra Mantis makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Ultra Mantis makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Ultra Mantis makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Ultra Mantis makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Ultra Mantis makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Ultra Mantis makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Ultra Mantis makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Ultra Mantis makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Ultra Mantis makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Vayne is such a weak villain I guess it's fitting that he would go down in less than a minute to my OP gang of tagalongs.

SPOILER: show
Overall I think the story was on the weaker side of the series, the political style was overly complicated and the Emperor, Senate and Judges were all ultimately superfluous considering they ate up so much screen time. Even weirder considering it was the Emperor who gave to order to nuke Nabudis and assassinate King Dalmasca, not Vayne. All Vayne really did was blow up a couple of airships and order Gabranth to kill Drace. He was Seymour with none of the build or payoff. Cid and Gabranth were much stronger characters. Basch ending up living as Gabranth was a pretty cool finish, as was Balthier and Fran seemingly sacrificing themselves. I knew they didn't actually die because I've played Revenant Wings but I popped for that final exchange "You know what they say about the leading man? He never dies" "I'd say you're in more of a supporting role".

As FF games go, it's still my least favourite of the PS1-PS2 era. I'd put it over most(?) of the NES/SNES games and the XIII trilogy. Hard to say in comparison to XV since I feel like they more or less share the same strengths and weaknesses. Decent.
Ultra Mantis is offline   Reply With Quote