Thread: NBA Thread
View Single Post
Old 02-05-2015, 08:12 PM   #709
Emperor Smeat
Former TPWW Royalty

Emperor Smeat makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Emperor Smeat makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Emperor Smeat makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Emperor Smeat makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Emperor Smeat makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Emperor Smeat makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Emperor Smeat makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Emperor Smeat makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Emperor Smeat makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Emperor Smeat makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Emperor Smeat makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Emperor Smeat makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Emperor Smeat makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
New commish says the NBA might consider the idea of tweaking the playoff system so only division winners get guaranteed spots and then 10 spots for the best remaining records regardless of conference. Main reason for the idea is related to how long the West has currently been the more dominating conference in terms of records and teams.

Quote:
"Ultimately we want to see your best teams in the playoffs," Silver said. "And there is an unbalance and a certain unfairness. There is a proposal where the division winners would all automatically go into the playoffs and then you’d seed the next 10 best teams. I think that’s the kind of proposal we need to look at. There are travel issues of course, but in this day in age every team of course has their own plane, travels charter. I don’t think the discussion should end there. And as I’ve said, my first year I was studying a lot of these issues and year two is time to take action. It’s something I’m going to look at closely with the competition committee. I do think it’s an area where we need to make a change."
http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2015/2/5...ence-imbalance

MLS tried that idea for a few years with their playoffs before going back to the traditional way. Then again they also had a couple of years with 3 conferences and took the top 8 overall records for playoffs as well.