View Single Post
Old 04-06-2016, 04:04 PM   #26
The CyNick
Make the IWC Great Again

The CyNick is good (20,000+)The CyNick is good (20,000+)The CyNick is good (20,000+)The CyNick is good (20,000+)The CyNick is good (20,000+)The CyNick is good (20,000+)The CyNick is good (20,000+)The CyNick is good (20,000+)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyman View Post
Oh don't get me wrong - I largely agree with you on Bret. Bret, in many respects, was as much a pain in the ass as HBK even if Bret had more noble intentions much of the time.

However - given the personal relationship between Bret and Vince, I just think the ugliness could have been averted.

1) Legally, Bret would not have been able to show up with the WWF title on WCW anyways.

2) The whole idea of wanting to make Shawn look 'strong' via clean win over Bret, was completely negated by the fact that Undertaker manhandled him at the next PPV anyways.

The only way Shawn cleanly defeating Bret would have made sense, was if Shawn defeated Undertaker in a convincing way as well, but this obviously didn't occur. Hence - my suggestion for the DQ finish where you have a similar ending to Wrestlemania 12, but with the Hart Foundation interfering.

On RAW the next night, Bret threatens to leave the WWE but then Undertaker (a.k.a. "The Conscience of the WWE" challenges Bret). Bret then admits that he's always respected the Undertaker and that Bret never backs down from a fight, and so he accepts the challenge.

Voila - Taker defeats Bret, and then jobs to HBK at the next PPV as par the course.
The issue isn't would Bret go off to WCW without doing the favors. It's would Bischoff open Nitro with "I just signed their world champion, he's coming here Dec xx and this is yet another example of why WCW is superior"

At that point it doesn't matter what Bret does, the cat is out of the bag, and WWF title would look like a joke.

To make an angle of Bret leaving would make any subsequent match seem phony.

The issue to me was always its reasonable for WWE to expect Bret to drop the strap to the guy and on the date they wanted.

I've also heard interviews from people who claim Bret balked at several scenarios where he would drop the title.
The CyNick is offline   Reply With Quote