View Single Post
Old 05-28-2018, 12:02 AM   #3361
Tom Guycott
Wrestling Marks Rejoice!

Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destor View Post
Also to your rep castlevania 2 was my first too and that game gets a bad rap thanks to that avgn vid. Its underrated
No, it gets a bad rap because it is severely flawed. AVGN played it up for comedy, but it was pretty shit.

I liked the concept of the game too, and they thankfully eventually honed this primative idea into the outstanding Symphony of the Night, but there was a lot you had to "figure out" not because the puzzles were clever, but because the dialog with ANYONE or the clues found ANYWHERE really didn't help jack shit and the whole idea was so far removed from the first game. I had to use three different hint books (pre internet) to try to play it front to back without cheat codes that give you everything at the beginning. There is a lot of click adventure logic (use item x in right spot) at work without the added benefit of being written well enough to let you know where the right spot is. And figuring out how the map worked... not intuitive at all.

Castlevania 2 was one of the first games that I liked in concept of to keep playing in spite of the bad execution. Like an early Skyrim. They were just a couple decades early for the patch culture we "enjoy" now. If at least the localization was up to scratch, then I would prob'ly hand you "underrated".

But I will say, the "suffering" was worth it if only for being a crucible old gamers like us were forged in. That, and the easter egg in Dust: An Elysian Tail.
Tom Guycott is offline   Reply With Quote