View Single Post
Old 04-14-2011, 10:31 PM   #1420
Jeritron
Get a poke on

Jeritron makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Jeritron makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Jeritron makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Jeritron makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Jeritron makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Jeritron makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Jeritron makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Jeritron makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Jeritron makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Jeritron makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Jeritron makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Jeritron makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Jeritron makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
I was just thinking about Spawn. Looking back on it, the CGI is obviously dated and looks shit, but the movie still does exactly what I think GL should have done.
Now you would be doing it with equal or greater practical effects, and far superior CGI and digital tools.
And a bigger budget.

It uses a practical suit, and effects to enhance it. The tangible suit looks amazing, and on top of that all kinds of special effects can be used to make the suit "living." It can transform, grow, show energy and all signs of being exactly what the GL suit is.

I get that the suit is the power of the ring/pure energy, but it's still a suit. It was always depicted as such, and that's how it manifests itself on him. So to act like it's above being a suit is stupid.
Especially when it comes to the mask. It's a Zorro mask. There is no reason to do that digitally other than to prove a point in going 100% CGI. As I said, that may be some goal, or maybe it's just a financial/laziness thing.

Mixing practical and digital effects allows them to get exactly what they're still going for, but just looks boatloads better and lends a great deal to the movie.

The same can be said for some other stuff I've seen. When GL uses his imagination to create some rocket-ship, or a giant fist and rock his opponents, that is where you use CGI. It's 100% called for an allows that aspect of the story to be possible. But when he imagines a gatling gun and laying down fire with that, why is that CGI? Wouldn't CGI be used for him materializing it, into a "real" gun (prop)?
It's that type of stuff that kills the worth of CGI as a filmmaking tool.

Anyways, that's just one example I thought of, and I'm sure there are better, or others.

What I'm saying is, the very concept of SFX use here has bothered me from the start and everything I've seen has furthered that.
I'm not hung up on the toes or the color scheme or anything like that. Just the big picture.

As I said, I still welcome a great movie but I have the doubts on that end even more so, and this is the type of film where painfully bad effects wall to wall may only turn up the volume on the bad story and turn it into a 2 hour headache.
Jeritron is offline   Reply With Quote