View Single Post
Old 02-05-2018, 11:09 PM   #23
Tom Guycott
I W C DEEZ NUTZ!

Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRA View Post
I will say Unlike the Jim Cornettes of the world I don't think exposing the business hurts it any
Quote:
Originally Posted by #1-wwf-fan View Post
Cornette may exaggerate but it definitely hurts it to SOME extent. The business wass certainly better off when they could blur the lines of reality and weren't basically shouting "This is all make believe!" from the rooftops.
I think folks misunderstand what he means by "exposing the business". It's kinda like folks having to use the term "climate change" because the average dumbass can't wrap their brain around "global warming" not meaning that there won't be snow next winter. That's not how that works.

Yes, people obviously know by and large by now that everything is scripted, predetermined, etc., and that phrasing makes it seem like there is a chance of still kayfabing the audience by and large if it weren't for them pesky Young Bucks. That isn't the case at all.

We say he's too far in the past and set in his ways and out of touch... but we're the same folks who shit all over the WWE Jinder Mahal push. Why? Because it was a very blatant, shallow attempt by a company to force-feed a man into a position he was not ready for whatsoever to try to get ethnic buys in a region he really isn't even from. It would have been an easier pill to swallow if his rise was incremental and "believable" within the bounds of a wrestler getting better, and not just a sudden rocket up his ass where he goes from jerking curtains, to suddenly, he's #1 contender and supposedly a legit main event threat in a two week period. That seriously "exposed the business" about as much as the "Joey Ryan spot", just in a different way. Nobody wanted to see that shit. Was too egregiously and cynical.

And you can pretty much guarantee they're going to do it again, except this time, trying to get into that South American market they seem to be shifting focus to with the seeds being sewn by not only trying to manufacture another Rey Rey (before saying "fuck it" and bringing the real thing back), but now adding the likes of No Way Jose, Andrade Almas, Cezar Bononi (who I can see getting a Baron Corbin like push), and bringing in Ricochet, they're going to try to hotshot one of those guys into the highest eschelon like they attempted to do with Alberto Of The River when they were fixated on marketing to Mexico specifically for some reason a number of years back.

It is mainly just another way of saying "doing stupid, grossly unbelievable shit that takes most people out of even wanting to watch the product or making one feel afool for even investing in the first place". While I don't exactly agree that Austin Aries shouldn't get a shot because he personally rubbed him the wrong way somewhere in the past, or that someone like Kenny Omega should be "disqualified from wrestling forever" because of sins of his past, but other people who have done dumb shit in their careers (like Adam Cole obsessed with getting blowjobs mid-match, or Bubba Ray having a toy lightsaber fight in the middle of a brawl) that he doesn't seem to have a problem with get glossed over, I agree with the overall intent of what he's trying to convey.
Tom Guycott is offline   Reply With Quote