View Single Post
Old 05-12-2018, 06:06 PM   #177
Mr. Nerfect

Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Thanks for explaining it. I think my problem with the whole Bullet Club thing is that it is really self-indulgent. I've read and listened to lots talking about how The Bullet Club actually haven't set business alight in Japan, and that a lot of the fandom are American hipsters who think they are onto something. And if that translates into something, then that perception is a reality, to a degree.

I just find the whole crotch-chopping, too sweet, we're so cool thing really forced when it's coming from the library Go club, that got the ironic blessing from the final years smoking behind it. Everyone in the group feels like a geek. The Tongans are probably legit bad-asses, but the context of them being the cool guys in a group of dudes they could eat but can have better matches than them is just...messy. There is much better use for their toughness that doesn't involve no-selling dramatic temper-tantrums from built-like-a-swimmer Cody Rhodes.

It's the attitude around the whole thing. They talk about wanting to sell out a 10,000 seat arena, and set themselves a standard of performance that they can't meet on their own (New Japan's ticket sales bear that out). You book a show that needs an arena, not an arena that needs a show. It feels silly to say this about guys actually wrestling, but it's like they don't understand what they are doing at all. The Young Bucks have made themselves out to be goofy dudes who can't beat people with tombstones and superkicks, and now they want to sell out an arena based on the drama of their performances?

It's very high school. So, so high school. My friends in the drama section would always say "Hey, let's put on a show!" and I was like "How are you going to sell tickets?" and they had this egocentric idea that people just loved them and would come to see them with their own money and spare time, and it really irked me. I don't know how else to explain it. I just find it frustrating that Cody Rhodes and The Young Bucks think they are such giant draws because they sell ~100,000 t-shirts a month.
Mr. Nerfect is offline   Reply With Quote