View Single Post
Old 04-24-2018, 11:16 PM   #41545
Mr. Nerfect

Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Steele View Post
I won’t go into arguing opinions of Triple H’s legacy, but gimmick matches were the motif in 2000. WM2000 didn’t have a regular 1 on 1 Match that year. Just because you do t like him or think he is overrated doesn’t mean you can completely retcon his ability.
Not trying to completely retcon his entire ability, I just find it interesting that he was in so many gimmick matches on PPV. Let's look at The Rock by comparison:

* He was in the Royal Rumble.

* Wrestled Big Show at No Way Out. There was a stipulation, but it was a straight-forward match.

* Was in the four-way with Triple H at Mania.

* Was in the special ref with Triple H at Backlash.

* Was in the Iron Man with Triple H at Judgment Day.

* He was in the six-man with Triple H at KOTR.

* He wrestled Chris Benoit in a straight-forward match at Fully Loaded.

* He was in the Triple Threat with Triple H at SummerSlam.

* He was in a four-way at Unforgiven.

* He wrestled Kurt Angle in a No DQ match at No Mercy.

* He wrestled Rikishi in a straight-forward match at Survivor Series.

* Hell in a Cell with Triple H and the gang at Armageddon.

So The Rock was in 3 singles matches out of 11 opportunities to do that in 2000, versus Triple H's 1 out of 12. I just find it interesting. It came up when I was discussing Triple H's enhanced retroactive significance in the Attitude era. 2000 is considered his glory year, and he did some really fine work during it, don't get me wrong, but I do find it interesting the bells and whistles he got, and that he wasn't a more significant draw than Chris Benoit that year.
Mr. Nerfect is offline   Reply With Quote