View Single Post
Old 04-24-2018, 02:10 AM   #41537
James Steele
TPWW's HHH Mark Since '04

James Steele makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)James Steele makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)James Steele makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)James Steele makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)James Steele makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)James Steele makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)James Steele makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)James Steele makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)James Steele makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)James Steele makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)James Steele makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)James Steele makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)James Steele makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noid View Post
Something I just realized about Triple H's 2000: He was in gimmick match upon gimmick match that year. I'm not really high on Triple H, because I just feel that his importance is a retroactive construction by a WWE, and that it's a myth that should really be contested. It irks me so much. It was the Attitude era. It was crazy, woo -- I get it. I am probably being far too cerebral in trying to assassinate Triple H like this. But it's just something I didn't realize until just looking at the cards for 2000 (considered the WWF's best year, commercially and often critically):

* Street Fight against Cactus Jack at the Royal Rumble. Mick Foley bends over backwards trying to get the new heel champion over.

* Hell in a Cell at No Way Out against Cactus Jack, with Jack's career on the line. A gimmick on top of a gimmick. Mick Foley again doing his best to make sure Triple H is in top heel form in time for WrestleMania.

* Four-way for the gold at Mania. Rock, Big Show and Foley also there. A McMahon in every corner. Another case of a gimmick on top of the gimmick.

* Shane McMahon as special guest referee against Rock at Backlash; Vince and Steph allowed at ringside; "Austin will be there! Austin will be there!"; Rock's still chasing.

* Iron Man at Judgment Day against Rock.

* Multi-man tag where the belt can change hands at KOR.

* Last Man Standing at Fully Loaded.

* Triple Threat at SummerSlam.

* No DQ with Mick Foley as special guest referee at Unforgiven; Stephanie makes her decision.

* No DQ against Austin at Survivor Series.

* Multi-man Cell at Armageddon.

Triple H's one straight one-on-one wrestling match in 2000 on PPV was against Chris Benoit, who was arguably the best wrestler in the company at that point. Could this have been means to "protect" Triple H, or am I looking too far into it? I mean some of them arguably hurt the card, but you can't deny there is always some sort of effort to "fluff-up" the Triple H match and make things interesting from a layman's perspective.
I won’t go into arguing opinions of Triple H’s legacy, but gimmick matches were the motif in 2000. WM2000 didn’t have a regular 1 on 1 Match that year. Just because you do t like him or think he is overrated doesn’t mean you can completely retcon his ability.
James Steele is offline   Reply With Quote