View Single Post
Old 12-07-2015, 12:16 AM   #39
Tom Guycott
I W C DEEZ NUTZ!

Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchables View Post
tl;dr: show is amazing but the singular mcu seems increasingly vague and unnecessary
I'm very late to the party. Just started JJ, and only 3 eps in, so I super danced around all those spoiler tags... even the incorrectly made one by Kt.

But I just wanted to reply to this particular thing. I don't feel the same way. I like that the world is shared, but don't need to see a crossover every other show (like Flash) to enjoy their own stories. Even that is a weird meter, because the DC 'verse is segregated between TV and cinematic... Batman exists, but it is technically neither Bale nor Affleck, he just "is Batman" somewhere in the ether.

I don't pick up an X-Men comic and expect to see a team-up every time, but am aware they share continuity with Spider-Man, Shi'ar, or Alpha Flight. Also, there is no hard measure of time between this and DD save for this being post-Avengers, so who's to say the lack of Daredevil crossover isn't partially due to this not running exactly parallel? Kinda like the first Resident Evil movie, where it technically began before the first game, but Alice ends up waking up in the hospital about the time period during the second game, but had no immediate bearing or interactions with either. It was a beautiful standalone story that still took place in universe. Shoehorning her into the events directly with major game characters, which is what the sequels did, is where they started getting dumb really fast.

It is nice to have the *possibility* of interaction, but it doesn't need to be everywhere all the time. Especially since every new show with more characters farther down the MCU hierarchy are looked at as experimental, and not knowing if the show will take off or fail.
Tom Guycott is offline   Reply With Quote