View Single Post
Old 04-09-2018, 09:41 AM   #116
Mr. Nerfect

Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Posted this in the official thread, but I loved the match. I think WWE television is generally really dumb, but Nakamura "hits it out of the park" in the way that they want. Saw clips of him faking on the Kinshasa -- dude is cheeky as fuck. I love it. I don't know if I will watch just because of Nakamura, but he's really good at what he does, folks, and I think Vince would have been happy with this as an overall performance. Vince used to like stories, and this one has a fairly meaty one for modern WWE standards. And it's simple.

Wrestling is supposed to tell a story of conflict. It's easy to forget that when you get caught up in the internet bubble. There is conflict here. There is conflict between Shinsuke and AJ Styles (obviously). There is also conflict between Shinsuke Nakamura and the fans and what their respect is worth. And there is conflict within himself and whether or not he can make it in the WWE.

I dunno, I kind of dig it. At least until they turn him into a comedy ninja or whatever. For now, I think it's good ol' rasslin. Good Guy Shin comes over to be the big star and be known as the best wrestler in the world, only for the fans to whinge about how disappointing he is, because he's more focused on winning than putting on a show and damaging his body. But he's unable to wrest the WWE Championship away from the real best wrestler on the planet, so Good Guy Shin makes a deal with the devil on his shoulder.

Now I want to see more AJ vs. Nakamura matches, and I'm excited because they might tell an evolving story instead of just being a whole bunch of kicks to the head and kicking out of each other's finishers.
Mr. Nerfect is offline   Reply With Quote