View Single Post
Old 07-06-2017, 12:09 AM   #34973
DAMN iNATOR
Rigged from the start

DAMN iNATOR makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)DAMN iNATOR makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)DAMN iNATOR makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)DAMN iNATOR makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)DAMN iNATOR makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)DAMN iNATOR makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)DAMN iNATOR makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)DAMN iNATOR makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)DAMN iNATOR makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)DAMN iNATOR makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)DAMN iNATOR makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)DAMN iNATOR makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)DAMN iNATOR makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Been having pretty major home Internet issues, so unfortunately wasn't able to put up a #NXT400 discussion thread as I had planned, but I'm going to try and get caught up ASAP and offer my thoughts when possible.

^ Posted that by accident in the wrestling news thread when I'd meant to post it here. I don't think I'll touch on the backstage promos and the retrospectives of Asuka/Cross LWS Match for the NXT Women's Championship or the DIY break-up/Ciampa heel turn/Gargano return announcement, but I will say, in the two interview segments backstage with the NXT female superstars, what's with them all wearing generic WWE logo shirts instead of their usual mercy/gear?

Anyway, besides all of that there were 2 matches. First up: Ohno/Itami v. Killian Dayne and Wolf (forgot his first name) of SAnitY. Pretty quick match, not a lot of spots but the overarching story of "what's going on between Itami and Ohno?" was played up pretty well, with Ohno not being in position to be tagged to Itami refusing to tag Ohno when he WAS ready to Ohno confronting Itami in-ring about the communication problems. End comes when Itami hits Wolf with a Go 2 Sleep without realizing Daynr had tagged in in the corner, Dayne hits a crossbody for the win.

I don't know why a big guy like Dayne has a running crossbody for a finisher. Ideally I'd like to see him have something stronger, but a decent finish to a solid quick match. ***/*****.

Main Event time as Roderick Strong after a nice promo video package on him plays faces The Glorious One Bobby Roode for the NXT Championship. Great back and forth action, with Strong's mom and fiancée/wife looking on and cheering him on in the front row. A lot of both men trying to find each others weaknesses and pick each other apart. Not the most physical match I've ever seen but both men clearly giving it their all, a bunch of near falls on both sides, and then Strong nails his finisher, and you think he's got it in the basg as the ref counts 3...but then looks up to see that Roode had a foot under the rope. Ring announcer starts to announce Strong as the winner and NEW NXT Champion, but the ref says no, waves off the decision while Strong and his family celebrate ringside, thinking he's the NXT Champion before the ref runs over and explains no, Roode had his foot under the rope, the match will go on. Roode hits a quick move to lay out Strong, followed by the Glorious DDT on the outside after playing possum for some reason in the ring, both men go back inside and Roode finds the Glorious DDT once more, this time for the 3 and Roode is still your NXT Champion.

Pretty fun match overall...I found it more humorous than perhaps I should have at Strong's fiancée/wife's facial reactions when they'd pan to her and her screaming "YOU'RE A CHEATER!" @ Roode a few times after the outside Glorious DDT, but both men really giving it their all, and a kind of touching moment as Strong's mom and fiancée/wife console him as Roode celebrated post-match. **** 1/2/*****.

Overall, I'd rate tonight's show a solid C+/B-.
DAMN iNATOR is offline   Reply With Quote