View Single Post
Old 05-07-2018, 05:10 PM   #2
Mr. Nerfect

Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Remember that time Big Show turned?

* The obvious one is Austin. When Steve Austin shook hands with Vince McMahon, wrestling was finished for a lot of people.

* The Road Warriors turning heel may not have been Dusty's best idea. It's often pointed to as a symptom of the downfall of Jim Crockett Promotions, which we are still dealing with the ramifications of today.

* Rikishi turning heel in 2000 is an obvious one. This is about the time I started getting into wrestling, and it became very apparent to me that I had missed the boat on it being cool. Stephanie's first creative decision proved that she was put into a position of power long before she had proven she had the mind for it, and symbolically, Rikishi trading in his dancing to become a prince among thieves and crooks marks the death of fun in the WWF. And no, Albert's babyface turn in late 2001 as the Hip Hop Hippo was no substitute.

By the way, Albert in 2001.

* If WCW had a chance of turning itself around in 1999, which some might argue it didn't, that may have gone right out the window with Flair and Hogan's double-turn.

* Jim Cornette turning heel on the Dynamic Dudes is always hilarious to watch. They were different times. People were more homophobic then, and everyone knew that Johnny sucked Shane's dick.

* Also in the less serious basket, The Miz's face turn whenever that was is so memorable for how unmemorable it was, I can't even tell you what he did during that period of time, or when it was. I seem to remember him beating Wade Barrett at a WrestleMania, which I guess would have to be 28 or 29 for a one-day IC Title reign. It didn't do any long-term harm to the business or anything, and I don't even think it really warrants discussing, but I just think it sucked. That's one to be blanked out of the memory banks, and this time it's not because of your chronic alcoholism, Old Man Jones.

* Triple H's babyface turn in 2006 may not have had major ramifications on the business, but it was pretty awful. The DX period of Shawn Michaels' comeback was his worst stuff. Triple H acting like he's cool and funny might be true to his real personality, but it doesn't make for great television. We get it, Hunter -- sometimes a rooster can be called a cock. That's where we get the slang "cock" from. You cock. Triple H, specifically, came off like a naughty school boy talking behind teacher's back during the DX stint, and when the funniest part of your act is the unintentionally hilarious visual of Vince McMahon's bloody face being shoved into Big Show's rectum, you're not exactly creeping up on the sophisticated writing of an Arrested Development or Fawlty Towers. This is all compounded by my general disinterest in Triple H, but there was something particularly irritating off him glumming off Shawn Michaels for that period. He then stayed a babyface for seven years or so, and during that extended run we got "The Ass Kicker," him inserting himself into John Cena's comeback in 2008, and him making #20 on the Boston Phoenix's Unsexiest Men of 2011 after jamming himself into the Summer of Punk. If you ever return to the "Better as a Face or Heel" concept, Triple H is one unlikely to be discussed, because as a babyface, he is just downright awful.

Last edited by Mr. Nerfect; 05-07-2018 at 05:41 PM.
Mr. Nerfect is offline   Reply With Quote