View Single Post
Old 08-25-2011, 04:30 PM   #1772
Nowhere Man
Now. Here. Man.

Nowhere Man got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Nowhere Man got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Nowhere Man got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Nowhere Man got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Nowhere Man got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Nowhere Man got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Nowhere Man got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Nowhere Man got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Nowhere Man got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Nowhere Man got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Nowhere Man got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)Nowhere Man got the bus to Rep Town and repped it up real bad at the rep shop (100,000+)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammsteinmad View Post
Well, my question had nothing to do with you 'getting bent out of shape'... I was simply curious.

Anywho... Gimme Doomsday or Darkseid and let Michael Bay direct it with 17 explosions-per-minute and I will be happy.
Didn't mean to come off as condescending, and I apologize if I did.

It's just....I've been a hardcore fan of the comics for about a decade, I've read some absolutely phenomenal stories, and some total garbage ones. I've seen the best and worst of what the franchise has to offer, and when you've got a series that's been around for over seventy years, it's got an awful lot. There are tons of great characters and villains, lots of great stories from guys like Elliot Maggin and Alan Moore and Mark Waid that delve into all the things that work and don't work about Superman, lots of creative plots and problems that only someone as powerful and implaccable as Superman could solve. The potential for truly epic, high-concept storytelling is there, and you can do so much with that franchise that you just can't do with someone like Batman or Iron Man.

And yet, from just about every discussion I've had with non-fans, all they see is a two-dimensional strongman who wins all of his fights without breaking a sweat, and that the only villain ever worth using is the big dumb monster who's only famous for killing him in a comic that was frankly pretty terrible and only existed as a publicity stunt in the first place. The common complaints about the \S/ mythos ("he's too powerful, he's too much of a goody-two-shoes, how come nobody notices Clark is just Superman with glasses," etc) have been addressed over and over and over and over and over in the comics, but since most people don't read the comics, the common perception of the character never changes.

It's just really frustrating, trying to get people to see what you like in a character or a story that is really only ever discussed as fodder for people to bash it when comparing it to 'cooler' series.
Nowhere Man is offline   Reply With Quote