View Single Post
Old 05-16-2019, 12:41 AM   #805
Tom Guycott
Wrestling Marks Rejoice!

Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
I finally got around to watching gen:LOCK. It's actually pretty fucking good, and eagerly await a second season. My only (admittedly nitpicky) complaints are:

a) While the lore isn't necessary, it would have done well with a tad more exposition into the world as to understand the situation they're in. If this were a video game, we could prob'ly go around reading terminals to glean why and how the world is as it is. Here, we're just kinda dropped into it. There is also something that feels like a plot conclusion that people jumped to halfway through, but I can't describe it without spoilers. It seems like if there were even one more episode in the season somewhere, both of those things could have been ironed out without dragging any pace. Granted, 9 episodes would have been a weird number, but they can do whatever they want with their own show.

b) The animation... it's a little... jerky. There is this "lag" that I remember from a show like Zoids. Best way I can describe what I mean is if you tried to watch an episode of Beast Wars, but instead of on TV, you printed all the CG onto cells for the whole episode, and printed them in a flip book. It looks nice, but it moves a little choppy. Given that it is a RoosterTeeth producion that is built as animation from the ground up (as opposed to running on an existing game engine and being maniupulated as they're famed for), it is a damn good first attempt, and hope they can polish that up in the future.
Tom Guycott is offline   Reply With Quote