View Single Post
Old 10-16-2017, 11:32 AM   #127
Mr. Nerfect

Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destor View Post
Wrestling is a business. It takes places while shooting commercials as it does while putting in your 20 min. You know you're a good wrestler when poeple pay to see you.
This is a great post. I see people talking about how great HBK was in the ring and on the mic, but what was the purpose behind those? What do people think a promo is there to do? Hogan's promos changed the world. Shawn Michaels can be more eloquent all he wants, but when people say that "HBK is the better promo," do they realize that the goal of a promo is talk people into a building and to spend money to see them?

I mean, effectiveness of the work needs to be evaluated, and there have been fewer wrestlers as effective as Hulk Hogan. That was his job. To go out there and captivate people -- which he did on an undeniably huge scale.

The goal of professional wrestling is to make as much money as possible. Hogan was a fucking master at that. Hogan did far more with far less than what HBK managed.

I always find the best way to answer these polls is to think "If I'm trying to promote wrestling, who would I rather have on my roster, and who would I rather my rival get?" And I'm sorry, but if I draw Hulk Hogan and you draw Shawn Michaels, then I am going to win all the money. And that is painful to say, because you'd probably take Shawn Michaels over most other people on the planet, because most other guys didn't draw either. You can have great bell-to-bell guys flying around underneath. It's a shame if it's not Shawn Michaels, but them's the breaks in these hypothetical situations.

That being said, you can have performative stars -- people who do get "famous" because of the quality of their work. HBK is one of those, for sure. He is the "wrestling fan's wrestler." I actually think Cena and HBK are possibly one of the best one-two punches of different types of star WWE has ever mustered. Because Cena is the one that you want to get over through media presence, etc., and HBK is the critics' choice. Everybody makes out that WrestleMania 23 drew based on Donald Trump and Vince McMahon, solely, but I think something was there in Michaels vs. Cena. Rock and Michaels would be even better. Austin and HBK would be better than Cena and HBK too. But Michaels is great for a certain part. One of the best for it, actually.

That's the best argument I can mount against the drawing argument. Hogan was a certain type of star -- one that shines in our culture the brightest. But there are other types of star that can be used to make money in other ways. I don't know -- I'm trying, haha.
Mr. Nerfect is offline   Reply With Quote