View Single Post
Old 09-27-2017, 02:37 AM   #6
mitchables
bonjour

mitchables makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)mitchables makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)mitchables makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)mitchables makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)mitchables makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)mitchables makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)mitchables makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)mitchables makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)mitchables makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)mitchables makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)mitchables makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)mitchables makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)mitchables makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lock Jaw View Post
I know they are going for something different by mainly focusing on one character, but I hope they build up the ensemble crew and let other people get some focus too.

Basically right now The Orville reminded me more of "classic Trek" so I guess I wanted something more traditional, but without the terrible humour of The Orville and better production values.
Yeah, I didn't mind The Orville but it cribs pretty heavily from TNG in its execution, right down to the aesthetic, soundtrack and fadeout act breaks. And yeah, its humour is weirdly middling. Not that MacFarlane has been particularly great for several years but I dunno, felt... toothless? Saw someone describe it as "Star Trek, but for [MacFarlane]", which is pretty much on the money. Feels very much like it's just "I have the money and clout to do this so I'm gonna do it for me".

I'm sure the Discovery crew focus will broaden from hereout; read somewhere that the first two episodes are kind of like a 'prologue' for the wider series, since we haven't even seen the USS Discovery (or the main captain) yet. I've got faith they'll spread it around as it moves forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lock Jaw View Post
Also, totally not anything to do with the quality, but I was totally distracted by Theo Gallavan playing Sarek..... first few times he appeared I was like "that dude looks so familiar"

Finally had to pause and check IMDB, and then I couldn't unsee it.......
Had this exact reaction too tbh. Good Sarek though.
mitchables is offline   Reply With Quote