View Single Post
Old 02-12-2017, 05:04 AM   #2477
Sepholio
3 Dicks Out For Trips

Sepholio makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Sepholio makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Sepholio makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Sepholio makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Sepholio makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Sepholio makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Sepholio makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Sepholio makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Sepholio makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Sepholio makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Sepholio makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Sepholio makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Sepholio makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destor View Post
Scale of 1-10?
Sorry it took so long. Thread moved down the page and I didn't even think about checking it again.

I'd give it a solid 8.5. I'm a huge jrpg nerd tho. I would actually rate this 9 easily but it's standard tales gameplay overall.

You run around freely in battle with a lock on any given enemy and jam the face buttons to spew out different combinations of rates you have set up. However there is one wrinkle to it in a sort of power up thing your main character can do. It doesn't power you up very much damage wise, but it can be used to extend the life of combos for ages and get your chain dmg multiplier up. You can use it multiple times stacked too like goku uses kaio Ken in dbz. At the end of it, which is either when you run out of this games variation of an action point, you'll hit a big finisher. Best time to trigger most mystic rates is at that point, and you can chain all of those together now if you meet the requirements for each character at the time. The power up has a trade off tho. When engaged, your health will start draining slowly. Add a stack and it speeds up a little. You can do massive damage after a few stacks but your health will drain so fast you won't believe it. You can not die in this state but your health will often be left at 1 when you drop out of it. Risk vs reward type thing amd I think it makes the battle system the best in series.

The story is surprisingly good. Like....really good. The game has your kinda upbeat tales feeling to it with the world and setting....but you aren't good. The main character has reasons I won't get into for what she is doing....but she's bad. Nay evil. How do I say this? You're the goddamn devil and it's awesome. She isn't a bad person and her reasons are sound but her reasoning is ice cold.and her methods brutal. One of the best mains in a long time. Other characters are also varying degrees of bad and strange but all in good ways the compliment the games story. One character is a typical good guy but I can excuse that. It adds conflict to the group. The story itself is also a nice twist...since you're the damn devil obviously you're going to kill jesus I mean the shepherd. The first shepherd to chronilogically. Very different from most jrpgs and turns out well. Ties in with xillia and zestiria heavily. Also has a really really good twist that will take what you are expecting, rip it away and then shove the shocking truth up your ass hole. And it does it twice.

The dull part is that it is a bunch of interconnected towns and zones. It's a faux open world. Lots of corridors. That's kinda getting old now. Tales needs a world.map.style like Vesperia if they are staying old school or do a better open world. It holds it down.

Sorry for long review. Really like this game. Just best story and doing post game now. The ex dungeon has some weird twists that make it unlike anything I've done before in this type of game. Pretty cool stuffz.
Sepholio is offline   Reply With Quote