View Single Post
Old 02-10-2018, 06:51 PM   #52
Mr. Nerfect

Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Definitely talking about the RR match. Loved it. Felt the emotion coming from both men. Didn't see the SummerSlam match. Saw Okada/Omega I and felt it was overrated with spots that took me out of the action. It was like someone writing a novel with too many exclamation marks, or unnecessary verbosity. The missile dropkick to the back of the head? Pass. The dragon superplex? Hard pass. The back body drop through the table? Next. I can remember those spots, granted, but I don't remember the finish, nor do I remember feeling any particular love for goofball Omega. I was rooting for Okada, but that's because he's generally awesome.

There's probably a WWE-bias lens on here, because, to me, seeing AJ Styles wrestling at the RR in such an important match carries with it inherent emotional weight. But that's not something that I think you need to separate from a match when judging it. That's something kind of earned and carried by the cache of each performer and the event itself. AJ Styles is as close as you're going to get to a perfect performer in professional wrestling in 2017 or 2018, and seeing him work his magic in that environment was wonderful. Don't care about Omega nearly as much -- and that's because he hasn't made me care, and actively does things that make me switch off -- like goofy faces and switching off my emotions during that match in particular.

The person saying that Omega vs. Okada series built in terms of psychology -- cool. I didn't watch the others. Didn't feel the urge to. Not because I'm a hater, but because I didn't get invested. I thought it was a great match overall -- don't get me wrong. Take out those dumb spots and it was...fine. I don't remember much about it. I remember it flying past for a 40-minute match or whatever. But Styles vs. Cena hooked me start to finish and had me wrapped around their fingers. So much better. I might even go back and watch it now.
Mr. Nerfect is offline   Reply With Quote