View Single Post
Old 05-04-2021, 12:52 AM   #24
Tom Guycott
I W C DEEZ NUTZ!

Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destor View Post
i think thats deliberate though. Kirkman is applying what he did on Walking Dead to the superhero genre. by using death (and injury) in this manner his goal is to create a world that has stakes to the violence and for my money it works really well in making not only the action very tense but by making this series stand out as very unique title in the genre.
I'm only using tags out of courtesy, I'm pretty sure the only people opining right now are the only ones who care and saw it already...

That's actually a perfect contrast, because
SPOILER: show
at least in watching TWD after Glenn finds Rick, the point was interpersonal relationships, and the zombies were incidental. Even some of the shallower characters, you got to know a little in how they interacted with their group, both protagonists and antagonists.

In this, it was more like "This person is a hero. They're dead now. This person is a villain. They're dead now. This person is a love interest. This person is dead now." There was no agency to them other than plot piece. A majority of characters in this are acting in the same set dressing manner of Walking Dead's zombies. I don't really care that they're dead. And unless that's supposed to be some "oh, I see how Omni Man feels" moment, it (at least to me) has the opposite effect of stake raising. It lowers the stakes, because I'm not given a chance to give a single solitary shit about anyone for there to even be stakes.

Like, if at the beginning of The Boys, they started with Huey's date. We were supposed to give a shit about her in the last five minutes of her life. We saw how she interacted with our protag. We were able to connect with them as a couple and as individuals. Then we get to see why it was important when A-Train accidentally painted the sidewalk. And even there, A-Train stopped long enough for us to know it registered he did something. We have three people who have agency in the story... well, two people physically, but Robin being dead started the ensuing storyline dominoes falling. If this were done in Invincible, all of that would have been covered in about 8 seconds, Huey would have been run through as well, and A-Train prob'ly would have prob'ly kept running until he got to the fight with one of those alien invaders and been killed on the spot without a single shred of empathy for the three.

That's why I think the pace could have been a little slower. Not snail's pace slow, just enough time to let developments actually develop.
Tom Guycott is offline   Reply With Quote