View Single Post
Old 10-14-2017, 10:56 PM   #54
Mr. Nerfect

Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
I don't think there's proof that Triple H was ever a draw, to be honest. WWE cracks 1 million buys for WrestleMania X-7, but they don't get there again until 2007 -- when Triple H isn't there. They get it the next year too, but that's the year that Triple H shoe-horned himself into Cena vs. Orton. The main draw for that show is Floyd Mayweather. They don't get 1 million buys again until The Rock comes back. In fact, they drop from the 1 million buys for the WrestleMania that Triple H headlines against Orton.

The other headlining match for Triple H was 2016 against Roman Reigns, and they needed to bring in Shane McMahon to go against Taker to sell out so Trips can say he closed the biggest WrestleMania of all-time.

In 2000, at his critical peak (which I don't think anyone will deny), WrestleMania performs really well. Biggest buy to date for them, but look at what it follows: buys tripling under Austin. Backlash does HUGE and is anomalous, this is true, but look at Judgment Day and Fully Loaded. Each does 420,000. The difference between them? The Rock is wrestling Triple H in an Iron Man Match on one and Chris Benoit on the other. I mean, 420,000 for B-level stuff is great, but anyone could have drawn with The Rock at that point in time. That it was Benoit or Triple H going against him was negligible.

In 2002 he did spike a good RAW rating for his return (better than the year previous), but after that things were back right back to where they were when he wasn't there. The Royal Rumble buys were up too. I think if you were trying to make the case that Triple H ever did make a difference, it would be there. Or in 2005 with the Batista stuff which got close to 1 million buys. But yeah, I think even Triple H at his most effective isn't as effective as company narrative is. Ratings and buys usually perform as well as they are performing when he is around, and sometimes even better when he is gone.
Mr. Nerfect is offline   Reply With Quote