View Single Post
Old 04-15-2018, 06:49 PM   #32
Mr. Nerfect

Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
On AJ Styles:

I think he's one of the most talented guys they've ever had. Even back in the TNA days -- he had that Rey Mysterio/Jeff Hardy/RVD "cool factor" about him. Maybe it's a hangover from the extreme sport days, and skateboard culture, but there was something "kickin'" about his style. The high-flying, the attitude, the name, his presentation. My brother, who is not the biggest wrestling fan, had heard of him and checked out some of his matches. That's entirely anecdotal, but I think there has always been a certain charisma there.

If Vince Russo and Dixie Carter's crazy vision for TNA did anything, it was that it saddled certain wrestlers with gimmicks and angles that were so misshapen they had to learn new skills. These are arguably skills they shouldn't have needed to learn. But guys like Samoa Joe, Bobby Roode and AJ Styles have been much better equipped to deal with the WWE and a sports entertainment presentation by TNA than most of us would probably like to admit. Joe and Styles are arguably two of the most charismatic people on the roster. Think about that. Neither was known for being a "promo guy" earlier in their careers.

That and Japan helped AJ Styles get the confidence he needed -- and I do believe it is confidence -- to become the complete package he is today. He knows how good he is -- not in an arrogant way -- so he's able to "not give a fuck" in that constructive kind of way. He knows he's bulletproof. He looked good putting over James Ellsworth (as much as anybody can). You can tell he's made a fan out of Vince McMahon, and he's retained what made him TNA AJ Styles and NJPW AJ Styles while incorporating WWE AJ Styles. He's so fucking good. I always thought he would do well in the WWE (better than people expected, anyway), but I'm shocked as to what a perfect fit it all is, and how his charisma comes out in promos as well as in his ring work.

I think age is only a factor in the sense that you can't plan 10 years around him. In WWE terms, he is very young. He's fresh. Physically, he seems fucking amazing. 40 or not, he's so much better than everybody else around him. That being said: I don't think he can be "the guy."

He works as an alien. He's fascinating because he's this world-traveled world-class wrestler that has come in with fanfare -- kicked down the door, frankly -- and has been a breath of fresh air in the ring and on the stick. It's been really fun. I like him as the guy they build SmackDown around. I like him as an old-school style Intercontinental Champion. I think he's great in the semi-main or working with a top heel champion every now and then, but I think you risk losing what makes him interesting if you circumvent things around him too much. But that might just be my conditioning.

For now: I think he's the best bet. Until you can get Dan Matha ready or whatever. Reigns is not cutting the cheese. I mean, we're in a different time, but AJ Styles has already spent more time as WWE Champion than Kurt Angle, Edge or The Undertaker, and it still feels "fresh." We're sitting here discussing whether or not they can push him too hard, but look at what they've already done with him. I mean, you can ask what that means, and sure, but good for him, I guess. I do think he'll get to main event at least one WrestleMania. I mean, again, you can ask what that really means, but is there a bigger push Vince can really give you this century that isn't "he's the guy, he's the guy, he's the guy, he's the guy?" His puppets on commentary already point out that he's the best. I dunno, he's doing fine, I bet.
Mr. Nerfect is offline   Reply With Quote