View Single Post
Old 12-03-2017, 10:05 AM   #42
Cool King
King K Cool

Cool King makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Cool King makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Cool King makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Cool King makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Cool King makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Cool King makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Cool King makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Cool King makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Cool King makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Cool King makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Cool King makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Cool King makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Cool King makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Quote:
Originally Posted by #BrotherVito DELETED View Post
One thing I appreciated about Johnston was that he'd make full-length songs out of a lot of his themes. CFO$ songs are like 60 seconds that just loop over and over.
This.

I've mentioned it before, but you could tell by listening to Johnston's themes that it was made with care, so to speak.

You could tell that Johnston really studied the character in-depth before creating a theme and it would add so much the character and in some cases, become part of the character.

The first theme that came to my head (pun not intended) was Al Snow's theme. Johnston created a theme that when you first hear it, establishes Al Snow as being a "crazy person", but when you go in a bit deeper, you discover that his theme pretty much explains the Al Snow character. It tells you why Al Snow is the way Al Snow is and it answers a lot of questions about the character.

I remember when I was a kid and seeing Al Snow and wondering, "why does he talk to a female mannequin head?", "why does he treat is with such importance?", "why does he write "HELP ME!" backwards on his head?", then years later being "blown away" when I discovered that the gibberish in Al Snow's theme is a woman's voice (which is Head) that's been backmasked saying "I am the one in control" and all those questions were answered.

That's Jim Johnston for you. He goes that extra mile with his music and the result is a piece of music that is memorable, enjoyable and most importantly, part of the wrestler's character.

CFO$ on the other hand really don't seem to do that. Their stuff just comes across as two guys that jumped on Fruity Loops and threw together something that sounds "cool" and is "current" and then just looped the absolute shit out of the thirty second piece so it lasts over three minutes.

I remember when Dupstep was a thing and a lot of new themes being churned out by those guys were in the dupstep genre, or close to it anywhere. Just because is was the "in thing" at the time. Now, we get no Dubstep because nobody cares about Dubstep these days.

Johnston doesn't do that. He focuses on the gimmick. The character. CFO$ seem to focus on popular culture, which I get is probably a good thing for a company like WWE but it's not really going to get you far and help you when you have to change a wrestler's theme every five or so years because their previous one is not "cool" anymore.

Don't get me wrong though, there as some CFO$ themes that are good but for me, I can probably count those themes on one hand.
Cool King is offline   Reply With Quote