View Single Post
Old 06-10-2017, 01:46 AM   #34
Mr. Nerfect

Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Mr. Nerfect makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Quote:
Originally Posted by #1-wwf-fan View Post
I get the gist of Russo's reasoning for the "go, go, go" approach. He was writing a TV show. He's just too dumb to realize that you can't write wrestling as a typical TV show. Putting the title on David Arquette was a fine idea to get attention. Great. But when you've got this 3 hour show and you're trying to build PPVs that you want people to pay for, if you're not the greatest writer who ever lived and can keep coming up with new innovative ideas on a weekly basis, you're eventually gonna need this prestigious prop that's been protected for decades to convince people to give you money. And if the prop means shit, you're fucked.

I will say this for Russo, though. He spends a lot of time knocking the guys WWE tries to build up as stars nowadays and their tendency to book for the typical smark crowd. I think he at least understands the fault in that.
I don't think he really understands drama or the conventions of even a normal television show. He certainly doesn't get wrestling, which is evident in how he's bombed pretty much everywhere else, but I think even his view of television is really warped. Like, there's no continuity or consistency to what he does. So much in the Attitude era that gets lauded actually doesn't make sense. Like -- it's bad TV. The WWE currently do bad TV, with so much stuff being redundant. There was less redundancy in the Attitude era, but the stories often made no fucking sense. Vince McMahon as the Higher Power anyone?

I think Russo is right about them catering to smarks, but I think he is right about it in the wrong way. He is pro-Jinder Mahal WWE Champion. And I think his views shift to be contrarian. He'd be pro-Owens if he were booking, but because he's not, he's anti-Owens. For example.
Mr. Nerfect is offline   Reply With Quote