View Single Post
Old 03-03-2018, 06:41 PM   #9445
Seanny One Ball
World Class References

Seanny One Ball makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Seanny One Ball makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Seanny One Ball makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Seanny One Ball makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Seanny One Ball makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Seanny One Ball makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Seanny One Ball makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Seanny One Ball makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Seanny One Ball makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Seanny One Ball makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Seanny One Ball makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Seanny One Ball makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Seanny One Ball makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
The Squid And The Whale - 2.5/4
As much as I love Jeff Daniels he is handicapped by a script that is so far up it's own cavernous arse that you can still hear the echo from his audition recital when the opening credits roll. I tend to love well scripted movies that explore interpersonal relationships from claustrophobic proximity but this was over cooked and left me with a restless anxiety that only a better film could cure.

Nebraska - 4/4

Having watched this immediately after The Squid And The Whale all I can do is point out that this is exactly how a screenplay about relationships, motivations and individuality should be done. It is as close to flawless as film gets and I am man enough to admit that it is above and beyond the possibility of my criticism. Nebraska may the best film I have ever seen. Bruce Dern's quietly passionate stoicism, his furious excitements, delusions and the tragic honesty of his craft appear so natural and truthful that it could almost pass for a documentary. Will Forte is wonderful, and without a trace of exaggeration I think he deserved the Best Supporting Actor Oscar for this work. This is the same Will Forte that made The Brothers Solomon and here he is stealing scenes from Stacy Keach and tee'ing up Bruce Dern for the role of his career. There are moments of true Shakespearean tragedy, laugh-til-you-turn-purple lines come and go like stealth missiles and the sheer warmth that radiates from the Nebraska on this screen is an example of its intelligence and heart.
I would expect no less from the man responsible for Sideways.

As Little Bill says in Unforgiven: "Hell I even thought I was dead, till I found out that I was just in Nebraska."

Last edited by Seanny One Ball; 03-03-2018 at 07:11 PM.
Seanny One Ball is offline   Reply With Quote