View Single Post
Old 09-25-2017, 06:47 AM   #11
Tom Guycott
I W C DEEZ NUTZ!

Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)Tom Guycott makes a lot of good posts (200,000+)
Being a "good wrestler" wasn't really ever the point of contention.

You could see WWE had big plans for him ever since is wholly unconvincing "I'm the man." promo in NXT. As part of The Shield, Ambrose had the immediate chops to do the heavy lifting while Rollins had time to "find himself" (thank goodness he got the heel turn), but the camera time was increasingly being fixated on Roman. By the time they got their entrance down to a science, the steadycam guy was all up his nostrils. "He's the big deal, here, we should all be focusing on him". Literally. As much effort to show him on the apron as the match in the ring, then all the attention to him at the hot tag, et cetera...

On the singles run, he kept all the over and familiar elements of The Shield- the music and the crowd entrance, and I guess the flak jacket to make him look more massive, I dunno. Even with a wellness policy violation and an extended hospital stay, the company tried to act like that had no bearing whatsoever on his upward momentum. They had the guy who was *really* over (DB) endorse him, they had The Rock endorse him, just whatever they could to try to get the crowd to get behind him, and it was false and transparent every step of the way.

I'm one of those who is all for "taking the ride" with someone, but there was no "ride" with Roman. Currently, the only weaker path to elevation was Jinder, who was suddenly booked like "boom, yer instantly super legit now". Cena had a ride, and while I'm not solidly in the camp of "he should turn heel", the problem there is that he's the same guy he has been for years. Even Undertaker went biker for awhile. Cena's just stale and predictalbe, and it's like those are the qualities WWE is trying to reproduce with Reigns.

But neither one are actually bad wrestlers. Not the greatest, either (though Cena can be argued- he actually *is* good, but when your go-to checklist and the dreaded "five moves of doom" can get you by on the regular, why do you *need* to go further?), but their abilities between the bell has not been what is so unattractive about rooting for either dude.
Tom Guycott is offline   Reply With Quote